• Register Today It's free!

Help: on buying a DrawTite hitch

haktmal

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport OHV
My Explorer doesn't have the Towing Package installed so I need to get a hitch for future purposes. (I'm thinking to buy a small boat in the future).

Can anyone recommend what do I need to get? Hitch, T-Connector, Adapter Box? Do I need all three?

Basically, what do I need to get?

Thanks much!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check to see if you have a tralier lights wiring harness already under your X. Its under the passenger side rear bumper. If you do you will only need the 4 pin cable from Ford. About $7 I think. Then all you'll need is a hitch.

hitchs...

If you get a hitch, the drawtite C4 are pretty hefty but the tubular hidden hitches are nice because you don't really see anything but the receiver. As for lighting, if you didn't get the tow package, then the plug is probably not there and you will have to wire one up. If the plug is there, then the cable to plug into it, from Ford, is around $25, i think. Yeah, it's a rip off but it works well. Hope that helps...

Don't forget to add a tranny cooler!! You'll be sorry if you don't. These tranny's are tempermental enough...you don't want to overheat it or you'll be walking.

Can I add a tranny cooler to a manual 5spd ??

Sorry, I didn't realize you had a manual...no I don't know of one.

I have the hidden hitch and it is great. I used the x to tow a '79 K5 Blazer on 33"s from va beach all the way to southern arkansas and never had any problems. I have towed boats, trailers, everything.

ahhh tranny cooler... I totally forgot about buying one, and now I've been towing my 4000 lb boat around all summer. Yikes! With almost 100k miles, I don't know how much longer my tranny will hold out :-/... While I'm in the thread, AKJello, what kind do you use, and how do you like it (assuming you have one)...

Re: hitchs...

I went under the truck to check today and I didn't see any plugs or electronic wires near the rear end.

How do I wire one up? I realize that you can only use the T-Connector if you have the wires underneeth the truck so you can easily "plug" them in. But since my truck is not wired, how am I going to do so?

Does anyone know which part I should get to wire the T-Connector up? Thanks much.

Originally posted by LowdPypes
If you get a hitch, the drawtite C4 are pretty hefty but the tubular hidden hitches are nice because you don't really see anything but the receiver. As for lighting, if you didn't get the tow package, then the plug is probably not there and you will have to wire one up. If the plug is there, then the cable to plug into it, from Ford, is around $25, i think. Yeah, it's a rip off but it works well. Hope that helps...

Does anyone know the part #'s for the drawtite style hitch? I am buying a hitch in the next 10 days, and I was hoping to find one that is like the flat black bar that runs across the back end, but I can't find one for less than about $170... and the u-haul 'hidden hitch' style is only $107 or so.... Anyone know where I can get the squared kind for less? It needs to be for a 98+ if that makes a diff. Thanks.

I don't remember the size or manufacturer. I was in a pinch...getting ready for a 800 mile trip through the mountains of Alaska towing a 4500lb travel trailer and I ran to Uhaul to have them put it on an hour before I left. That was three years ago and I haven't had any problems since except for a flashing O/D off light...throttle position sensor fixed that.

Ok, Thanks... I'm still looking into it so... we'll see how it goes. I'm not going to be towing anything until april at the earliest so I've got some time yet.

Thanks all,
I had a hidden hitch from 1800hitchit.com total came out to be $160 shipped to me. I installed it myself and just towed a boat home. :)

Tranny cooler and hitches

What's the cost / installation Pain in the :mattmoon:

Also, what about front hitches??

Back