• Register Today It's free!

Help on my 2001

fordmud

Reaction score
City, State
Fond du Lac wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 ford explorer sport
its a stock 4.0L explorer sport two door but she wont be stock long right now its just got a two inch butt end lift with shackles so it sits level and its got 265/75r16 for tires so 31.9 to be right well in a few weeks a 3 inch lift will be going on well with a lift comes rims and tires so i got the rims and tires already they are 33x12.50x15 well yes they rub on my two inch lift but shouldnt on my 5 inch when im done but my questions is do i regear my diff for 33's cause i do notice the lack of power and bad gas milage with my 31s please help

by the way my axle is a for 8.8 now how hard to regear that if i even should

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome to the forum... first i would say you need to know what size gears you have now. which you can usually find on the door sticker. for 33's i would say you should have at least 4.10, also if its 4x4 youll need to match the front diff as well. as for how hard to change gears its a bit of labor, need to pull the rear wheels and axles rear drive shaft races and bearings shims and side gears, the carrier itself and have everything set up (ie the new ring, carrier bearings pressed on, the pinion bearing pressed) and the same with the front but i think that diff has to be out of the car to do it.

How hard is it to do and how nuch

Welcome to the forum, what's your axle code or gearing in your Ex? I'm actually running 3.55 gearing on 33's on my 96 Ex and not bad for a daily driver and 4.56's in my 94 with 33's. Gearing depends on your intentions...

The '01 Sport came with either 3.73 or 4.10 stock. But like every one else has said check it first. I run 285/75/16 = 33" with 3.73 as a DD, it does okay.

Back