Help on New Hood... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help on New Hood...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What are you looking for?
Fiberglass? Cowl induction? Just for looks?

It is not clear what information you are looking for.
There are lots of aftermarket hoos for the late model Explorer's and there are lots of things you can do to your hood yourself.

I may be looking in the wrong places but I have never seen a hood for an Explorer. I have seen many for F-150s/Expeditions and other SUVs based on truck platforms, but never the Explorer. I would be real interested in a hood for my 2002 Explorer. What sites are good in general?

Do a search on these forums. 2002 may be a little more difficult to find, but give it time.

Now there are things you can do to any hood to get the looks or function you want out of it.....a little body work is all thats needed.

Do you know any sites for Explorer hoods in general?

ultimately..

I would really like to have a 97 style cobra hood like Troll's but there is no way that I would spend that type of money on it. I don't really care if it is fiberglass but it would be nice. I thought of installing some hood vents off a Grand 5.9L but they are not too easy to come by. Just want something with some type of ventilation or ram air... has anyone installed that banshee ramair shakker?

Dead Link Removed

wow, that is one bad ass shaker kit. I wonder if it could be set up to work for the explorer, i know you 5.0 guys have "no problem" but it would be cool if we could modify it to fit the 4.0

Anything is possible.

The hood vents you want are form a Pontiac I bet...they are often installed on Jeep Grand Cherokee's......

A small aftermarket scoop can be fitted to any hood, for cold air induction....

410, I noticed above that you said, "There are lots of aftermarket hoos for the late model Explorer's". I had already searched on this site, and the internet and everywhere else. Where can you get a custom hood for an Explorer? I know you can go to Summit or Jegs and get universal scoops, or even buy a mustang scoop and put that on, but what are the sites you are refering to that have hoods for Explorers. I am very interested to check them out.

junkyards...

I know I have heard of jeepers installing them on their vehicles but the one I am talking about comes from the factory on the Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited. If anyone can get their hands on those hood vents, that would be awesome. Any idea the exact Pontiac they come off of so I can try and call my local crappy junkyard? Greatly appreciated. Thanks...

About the shaker... I have installed that exact one on a buddies mustang and it looks great. It is a little pricy but you feel like you got something once it's installed. It just bolts to the top of the intake so I don't see why it wouldn't work on our 5.0's... Just have to scrape up $550.

Originally posted by 410Fortune
There are lots of aftermarket hoos for the late model Explorer's and there are lots of things you can do to your hood yourself.

Um, are you talking about the same Explorer that I am? Because there are NO aftermarket hoods available for ANY year, except for Troll's hood which is rather pricey.

there are louvers similar to those intalled on the 5.9 on some grand prix's (i think maybe just the gtp) i saw a thread somewhere though that said you could buy them as a kit and install them on a ranger. if you could figure out where they were buying them from you could use though.

Dealer item.
Let me do some digging.....I have links to the Pontiac Louver install in a Jeep hood and I also have links to late model hoods....I'll find them....

Pontiac louvers...

yeah, I have this link but I am not sure I like them...

Dead Link Removed

I know you all are going to hate this but get over it... these are the vents I want.

Attachments

• 1998_limited.jpg
    1998_limited.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 274

I like hte Pontiac one's better....let me see if I can find the webage.....

http://www.burnsvilleoffroad.com/01_09.html

To me here's what I am thinking, the Louvers would work great for venting heat out from under the hood, which is great, heat rises, the louvers point backwards, heat is sucked out.

With a front facing scoop you are forcing air down into the engine bay, hopefully right on top of your cold air intake filter, which is even better. If the scoop is large enough it would have the same effect as the louvers, except it would force the hot air out from under the truck, just like stock, it would just move more air

Then there is cowl induction which uses the swirling air at the base of your windshield to do both of these things.

If I add a scoop to my hood it will be for my ram air or cold air induction, so I am leaning towards a forward facing scoop of some sort, but on a hood looks are everything so the right scoop is critical. POrsche made some 944 Turbo's that have a SWEET scoop, also the Nissan turbo 300Z had a sweet little scoop for a few years, little square scoop, very effective. The Mazda Rx-7 had a massive scoop that fed the intercooler on it;s turbo but that is integrated into the entire hood. I think that Shaker hood setup is the best option of them all but I dont have the $$$$ for that sucker...............

I would find a boneyard that has an X hood in it, then keep on walking around the same yard. I bet you could find something else there that has some sort of scoop you would like, buy that hood too. Go home, do some cutting and riveting. Then a little glass work on top of the edges you have created and riveted, and you are golden. With this approach, you could prolly create a nice and completely original hood for about $100-$150. Of course you have to paint it, then again, you would have to do that an expensive one you found at some retailer.

Just how my mind works,

Robb

one scoop or two?

They both serve different purposes. If you are trying to cool the engine down, then run the louvers. If you are trying to get more air into the engine that is colder, then run the hood scoop/shaker. These are two different beasts. I just want to cool my engine down and although I love the louvers, I don't like the idea of rain falling onto my battery and my intake... something would definitly have to be modified here. The banshee can be used as both, an engine cooler and a ram air plus it allows for water and debris to drip down under the car. Thanks for the website. That is the exact one I used when I installed them in my XJ... lotsa corrosion problems because of them. How can one get around all that crap dripping into the engine compartment?

Thats a tough one. A screen mesh could help divert the water, but then you will have to clean the screen from debris.

It;s kinda a trade off, obviously if you run a scoop or any sort of hole in your hood the engine bay is going to be exposed to the elements more.

I really dont mind if the stuff under my hood gets wet, it is ready for it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back