Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Help Please! Acceleration deadzone until kickdown

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by mfitz725, November 25, 2014.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. mfitz725

mfitz725 '99 Limited in NC Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Albemarle NC
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '99 Limited 4x4 4.0 SOHC
    My 94 Explorer runs very normally day in and day out. However, when I drive it for a couple of hours on the interstate basically non-stop at 70-80 MPH it develops a problem. The check engine light will randomly illuminate and when I try to accelerate nothing happens until the pedal hits the point that kick down occurs. Then it will pick up speed.
    If I pull of the road and sit still with foot on the brake it begins to surge, for lack of better way to put it. If I let it sit for a bit, maybe 10-15 minutes there is no more surging and it seems to accelerate close to normal again all the way through the pedal position range. Problem reoccurs after driving on for about 15-30 minutes.
    Once home and it cools all the way down it acts completely normal again.

Anybody got any ideas? (It got new plugs, wires and a TPS late in the summer)

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. the_don

the_don Active Member

City, State:
    park city, ut
    '93 exploder limited 5spd
  4. gmbroy

gmbroy Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Orange VA
    1996 explorer Eddie Bauer
    take a close look at your temp. & make sure it isnt getting a little hot . If you could install a mechanical guage to give you a true reading would be the best . maybe put some heat protective wrap on the 2 fuel lines . Hope this helps you some :salute: If not holler at us & we will do our best to help you