Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Help Please - Car Won't Start when it's...

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Arsenil, December 3, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Arsenil

Arsenil New Member

City, State:
    Monte-Carlo
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    Limited 97 4.0l 4WD
    Hello everybody,

thanks for reading my post. I recently had some trouble with the truck. I mean like 3 month maybe a lil bit more. So i got an 97 4.0l SOHC 4X4 All the time...
    And Everything for engine, exausht and CIE are from Ford... So no custom engine or else.

So today i went to a place 3 hour from home, and it was kind of cold for my wife... I mean my real wife, and it seems that the truck had the same feeling. So i parked my Explorer outside, went for shoping the whole day 6 hours.

Came back and triyed to start the truck :

- Won't start without Pushing the gas
    - If i tooked of my foot from the gas pedal, shuting down....
    - and back again to the begining Pushing pedal gas then starting... Everytimes i was stoping because of those damn stop, i had to start again and again...

Also i had a small ticking noise before going to this mall ( It's was they're a whyl ago ). Came back HOME AND LOUD TICKING NOISE... ( louder when rpm go up and dow, noisy in park and reverse

Tomorow checking :

Sparks plugs
    exaust manifold
    egr system if i can...

Help me please, i don't want to get the truck to someone, and pay thousand 1 time, and start again, and thousand again... I can do it on my own, but only if i knew where it's coming from. if i have no idea, i think for a rebuilt engine...

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. yavapaires

yavapaires Active Member

City, State:
    Dewey, Az
    1996 XLT
    I'm not experienced with theSOHC engine, but what I have read,sounds like timing chain noise. The refusing to idle part, sounds like IAC valve.

4. cledusdtrucker

cledusdtrucker New Member

City, State:
    delphi falls,ny
    2001 sport
    iac valve take it out and clean it that will fix your idle problem