Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Help please: Insulating exposes piece of garage roof

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Shane., January 25, 2019.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Shane.

Shane. New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2012 Explorer limited
      Garage

So 90% of my garage roof is insulated with blown in insulation and dry walled as it has a bedroom above, however the last little bit is bare wood with a piece of plastic damp seal stuck to the rafters. I was planning on finishing the drywall to tidy it up but I’m not sure what I would need for insulation. My options as I see it are;
      -Drywall panels screwed to the rafters over the plastic damp seal with no insulation
      -As above but add a baton insulation between the rafters the same as the attic of the house
      -Add some sort of ventilation chanels on the underside of the roof sheathing then get a foam board or spray foam insulation on top of that then drywall the underside of the rafters

The sides of the space have ventilation to outside so I’m assuming I need to keep some sort of air movement, the garage is not heated right now as I don’t really use it for more than parking through the winter. I have attached a link for some pictures I took to hopefully explain it better

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      I’d use fiberglass batts. Air flow above keeps mold growth down, and helps keep icicles and ice dams at bay. I’d screw up drywall, and build a small access “hatch” you can get into with a ladder.

4. 974X4BLACKSPORT

974X4BLACKSPORT Active Member

City, State:
      hudson
      BLACK 1997 SPORT 4 BY 4
      I looks like that insulation has been wet, or is still wet, and has some mold growth, better replace it all.

5. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
      Rolls of plastic vapor barrier could be stapled to the beams prior to installing sheetrock to block drafts from entering. Fiberglass insulation goes between the beams. Do you have wood or steel studs?