• Register Today It's free!

Help Please

lydenw

Reaction score
City, State
Winston Salem, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Eddie Baurer
I have a problem with my brakes. Whenever I press the brake there is a loud clunking noise that shakes entire front end, and it pulls the car slightly to the right. Also when I brake going downhill the front end vibrates and shimys before it stops. Does anyone have any ideas about what this could be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site!

How comfortable are you with troubleshooting this on your own? If not, I would take it to a shop, get an estimate and decide from there if you want to DIY.

If you do a search here, you should find some good brake job info. If I had to make a wild guess, I'd say your caliper pins might be the source.

How long has it been since the front brakes have been serviced? It might be time to do a brake job, and thoroughly check everything out while you have it apart.

Mike

the shaking is probablly your rotors being warped.

I second rotors, definately replace those as well as pads first. However while you are replacing them I would definately check or replace your wheel bearings and seals - they have similar shaking symptoms when loose or bad.

i second what pollarican said. i should have just said do the bearings, rotors and pads all at the same time. it will cost money but you will at least know you are good for a while.

also check the radius arm bushings while your at it. do a search for them on here you will find pleanty. I suggest if you need to replace the drilling the bracket off rather then the cum-a-long method. I have done both. drilling is much easier.

When you take off your rotors and have them checked, I recommend going with semi-metallic pads. I used ceremics for awhile and warped two sets of rotors. Also, when replacing the the pins I recommend using permatex anti-seize for a lubricant. Just my two cents.

Later, Matt

Back