Help Please! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MichaelT1984

Reaction score
City, State
Needles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 explorer 5r55w 2WD
My two wheel drive 2006 explorer with the 5r55w or 5r55s transmission is stuck in what it think is fifth gear. It's been having shifting problems including a delay when going into reverse, sometimes slamming into reverse, and now revving or downshifting when cruising at around 50mph. It has over 300,000 miles. it used to be a taxi so I'm not sure if it has the original trans. either way went to autozone and they pulled a P0735 code meaning incorrect 5th gear ratio. I've researched this problem and found two possible culprits, the solenoid block and/or servo pin bore wear. will shift into reverse but not into 1, 2, or 3rd. Only drives when put into drive and is stuck in fifth. Looking for some pro advice on what else might be the problem.

My guess is that it's got a bad TCC solenoid (Torque Convertor Clutch solenoid).

I used to have a 1989 Chevy Celebrity that had this same problem, where it wouldn't downshift.

Also, I'd have a transmission fluid change (not a flush) and have the valves inspected and replaced, if necessary. As you've got 300K+ miles, it might be time to do a transmission service/overhaul.

This would also explain why it won't go into 1st, 2nd, or 3rd; the belt in the transmission is frozen inside the casing, and can't shift to any other position other than Park, Reverse, Neutral, and Drive.

Back