1. Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

help!!! power window issue!!!!

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by dcorwin822, December 20, 2007.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. dcorwin822

dcorwin822 New Member

my passanger side window will not go up at all... all i hear is this nasty grinding sound kinda.... I took the door panel off and i can see that the power window regulator system is fubard.... I had my dealership order me a replacement. my only problem now is how to i get the glass up and out??? i cant even lift the glass it seems stuck down. i need some serious help... i pray it dosnt rain

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. wchain

wchain Member

City, State:
    Houston, TX
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    02 XLT V8 2WD
    Use wire cutters, cut the jacked cable of the regulator and then slide the window up, you may unbolt hte track to help get the glass out, taking off the felt trim strips as well. Use a dremel/die grinder to get the pop rivets off the glass. Now the new regulator will go in, and then put the glass back in, bolt it to the regulator but don't tighten until the window channel and felt strips go back on the door, and once you know it's aligned, tighten it all back up.

I just did this on the rear door. Wasnt a bad job, take your time and have towels handy, as the regulators have lots of grease on them.

4. dcorwin822

dcorwin822 New Member

got the new regulator in... yeah they are greasy as shit. new problem though. the window rolls up slower than a snail's pace.... if i dont assist it, it will stop 1/2 way.

5. dcorwin822

dcorwin822 New Member

oh ya they guy at the parts department said there was a TSB about the window clunking (2002 explorer) and he said i needed this "bumper" (p/n 4L2Z-7821762-AA) anyone know where that goes?

6. SilverstoneXJ

SilverstoneXJ New Member

City, State:
    Cheyenne, Wyoming
    '95+
    I'm about to tackle theis fun tomorrow. Helping out a co-worker who's '03 driver's window had the same thing happen. Would have gotten it done tonight, but I discovered the rivots and that threw the plan off. Have to bring my drill and get bolts to put it back together with. Why and the heck did Ford have to use friggin rivots? Hope I don't run into issues with swapping the motor from the old regulator to the new.

7. daprez1963

daprez1963 Active Member

City, State:
    Florida
    05 XLT 4dr 4WD 4.0 V6 FFV
    most of the time, the issue isn't with the motor....i then ask....why did ford use plastic in this design (this seems to be the most common defect in power window use) as it breaks or strips, causing the window not to operate but still get the grinding motor noise.....it was a $150 job at a local after market truck shop (ford stealership wanted twice as much)

8. SilverstoneXJ

SilverstoneXJ New Member

City, State:
    Cheyenne, Wyoming
    '95+
    Yeah... we have a discussion going on now titled "Thin Metal Cable (Window Regulator" hoping to solve the questions.

9. dah

dah New Member

City, State:
    florida
    2002 xlt
    channel that guides glass fell off on one side.(screw at bottom fell off) It seems like there must be a clip to hold bottom piece of channel to top piece but can't figure it out. Do you have any idea.
    Thanks