Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Help!! Spider Gears Fell Out of Differential

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by gsbarry, July 4, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. gsbarry

gsbarry Active Member

City, State:
      Houston, TX
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      Stock 97 4.0 EB SOHC
      I was replacing the rear axle bearings today, and got the first one done when somehow I turned the other wheel. Dumba**! The pin in the rear differential had already been removed, so the spider gears basically fell out.

I can't figure out how to get them back in place, its so tight in there. Do I have to take the diff apart? Or is there a trick to getting them back in?

Obviously the inside of the diff is new to me... Thanks for any tips!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. yavapaires

yavapaires Active Member

City, State:
      Dewey, Az
      1996 XLT
      If they fell out, they will go back in. It is just a PITA to get all the pieces back in. The last time I did that was on my old 65 El Camino with a 10 bolt differential. The one in my 96 EX is quite similiar, except for being posi. Just start the center pin on one side to hold things together if possible. Be sure to get what ever shims back in place. I had mine apart a while back to replace a seal, I just didn't make the mistake of turning the opposite wheel. Do it once (like me), you won't make that mistake again. Good luck, be patient.

4. IZwack

IZwack Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Germantown, MD
      1998 Ford Explorer
      As I recall, you install the side ones, push the axle shafts in a bit so that they engage the side gears, and then have someone rotate one of the axle shafts so that the top and bottom gears are pulled in or ingested into the carrier/housing by the side gears.

5. gsbarry

gsbarry Active Member

City, State:
      Houston, TX
      Stock 97 4.0 EB SOHC
      Thanks for the help, I got them in yesterday. It was actually a lot easier to line the gears up than I was expecting. It only took me two tries! I've read elsewhere that the trick is to 'rotate in' both spider gears at the same time, making sure that the gears are exactly across from each other in the carrier.