HELP! Will a Ford 1999 CD Player fit in a 1995? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP! Will a Ford 1999 CD Player fit in a 1995?

Laure

Reaction score
City, State
Irvine, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
Please help quickly.....I just bid on a 1999 Ford factory CD Player AM/FM radio w/cassette and now wonder if it is going to fit in my 1995?! I have the original radio w/ cassette. Auction closes tomorrow.....ugh! :rolleyes:

Also, does anyone know what I should pay for this? (Now I'm asking?)

Thanks! :eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why go from one factory unit to another? If you're gonna drop the cash, drop it on something better like a Sony or Pioneer Head Unit. You'll be much happier.

I payed about 200 for mine and yes it will work. I can't give you any details because I had a shop do the install.

Thank you both! I feel much better.

PS I understand it doesn't make sense to most to get the Ford CD changer....I just like it to look the same?!

Originally posted by Laure
Thank you both! I feel much better.

PS I understand it doesn't make sense to most to get the Ford CD changer....I just like it to look the same?!
Me too.

I hate the gawdy look of aftermarket radios.

Actually, I heard they changed the radio wire harnesses in 98. You'll be able to get the new one to work, but you may need to do some wiring work.

best thing to do is to go to a junk yard and find a 98+explorer (or ranger i think). and cut the radio wiring harness out of it. leave about 6-7inches of wire before the plug then go to walmart or car stereo place and tell them you need a wire harness kit for a 95 explorer. then just wire the harness from yard to harness from store and plug into the radio and the factory radio harness.

hope this makes sense.:confused: i busy working on the phone while i'm surfing.:D

The black plug will be slightly different between the two stereos. I think you need to find another one somewhere else and a wiring diagram to get it straight. If I am not mistaken, the 99 HU will be internally amped, meaning you will need to install an amp bypass kit.

Robb

I was told

No it would not work I was told it was due to the size of the radio. If it dose work Please please tell me because the only thing i dno't like about my x is that i cant ge an AM FM cassett cd player for it and if there does work i want to do it

as far as size goes, I'm pretty sure it would be the same and would fit right in.

But, the wire harnesses ARE different, and you'd have to buy an adapter to make it work.

As far as price, I wouldn't pay a penny over $200. I've sold one of these before and I got around that.

Aftermarket Unit

Is there an aftermarket am/fm/cd/casst that will fit in an 95 Explorer

98 radio into a 95

Didyou get the radio and if so did you get the radio to work?

From the quick refrence at the start of the audio forum.

For 1995, the radio head unit size was increased to 1.5 DIN (the chassis was 50mm high at the rear, 90mm at the front)
For 1998, the opening in the instrument panel was modified to accept a radio chassis that was 90mm high from front to back

This would mean no it dont fit due to the 98 and newer radios are bigger behind the face. But on the other hand my 97 had more than enough room to fit the larger chassis.

Yes 98 and higher has the amp built in as stated and would need the external amp bypassed.

Yes the plugs that go into the radio are totally different. Like stated above you would have to goto a boneyard and get a plug from a 98 and newer Ford. I beleive the newer radios only have 1 plug going into them as opposed the older ones having 2. Somebody with diagrams and some knowledge could get them to work fine. Fitting wise i dont know for sure.

Life is just easier to buy a aftermarket HU and a dash adaptor. Its a clean install and sounds better than the factory radios. The external amp should be eliminated but not totally nessesary. My $.002 :confused:

Back