1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Help with blower motor relay

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by Masterd, June 22, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Masterd

Masterd Active Member

City, State:
    Upland, CA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1993 Explorer Sport
    Hi guys, Ive got a problem with my 93 sport. It keeps melting blower motor relays and im totally stumped as to whats causing it. Ive been putting generic autozone relays in it and it kept melting them so I went and got a relay from ford and it melted that too. Its got a brand new blower motor in it as well so im kind of lost as to where the issue is with this thing. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

Its the left relay and the only pin that its burning is that bottom one, and im assuming thats the power pin. Even the new one I threw in there gets so got that it will burn you if you touch it after the blower has been on for a while.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Jason94sport

Jason94sport Well-Known Member

City, State:
    South FL
    02 Sport 2WD 5 speed
    Blower motor resister may be bad causing it. Not sure. Cheap enough to replace that.

4. Roadrunner777

Roadrunner777 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Bemidji, MN
    94 4x4 Sport 88k
    I'd like to hear more history. Did you replace the blower motor in trying to solve this? Also, can you provide part number/specs on the relays you are having trouble with? These relays are rated for different carrying capacities but look identical to each other. If your relay were under-rated, that would do this.

5. jd4242

jd4242 Explorer Addict

City, State:
    va beach
    92explorer&94 ranger
    it doesnt look like the relay that is burning up ,it looks like the harness is shorting out,just throwing new relays into the shorted harness wont fix it

6. jd4242

jd4242 Explorer Addict

City, State:
    va beach
    92explorer&94 ranger
    also there should only be one relay.what do you mean its the left relay?you have a better pic?all blower motor relay should be rated for atleast 50 amps

7. Masterd

Masterd Active Member

City, State:
    Upland, CA
    1993 Explorer Sport
    I guess I was just stating the obvious when I said it was the left relay. The one on the right is the AC wot relay. The ones I was throwing in from autozone were like 8 bucks a piece and just their generic parts brand. Im assuming they were the correct ones as they were looked up in the computer under the blower motor relay part number. The one I have in there right now is from ford and looks a little more robust. Just to eliminate the chance of a loose contact on that bottom pin, I put a slight twist in the pin and put the relay back in. I guess time will tell. Right before I threw in the new ford relay I stole the relay from the ABS control and threw it into the blower motor spot and it started to blacken the plastic around that pin, probably because it was rated too low. And to answer roadrunners question, yea I threw in the new blower motor to try and solve it because I was able to get it for a really good price.

8. FLwireman

FLwireman Member

City, State:
    DeFuniak Springs, FL
    '93 Xploder
    Blower Motor

My '93 EB has burned wires at the plug behind the a/c, heater control panel. It has a lot of wires together and I guess they rubbed enough to short out, after burning up a lot of stuff. Just pull the whole ash tray assembly to get up in there and have a look see. As was mentioned previously, the blower resistor is easy access and a cheap part. Good Luck.

9. rustbucketMI

rustbucketMI Active Member

City, State:
    Michigan
    '94 XLT 4x4
    Sounds like a short somewhere. Do what wireman suggests and check out all of the wires.

10. Masterd

Masterd Active Member

City, State:
    Upland, CA
    1993 Explorer Sport
    I wanted to update this saying that the problem is seemingly fixed. I dont know if its because I spent the cash and bought the nice ford relay, or the fact that I put a slight bend in the bottom pin so it would bite the socket a little better, but it hasnt burned or even made a mark on the new relay :thumbsup:

We Support Our Troops!