Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

help with herculiner preparation

Discussion in 'Body Work & Detailing' started by BoatsRcool, September 23, 2001.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. BoatsRcool

BoatsRcool Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Greenville SC (Home) Clemson SC (School)
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    GMC Yukon 4x4
    well i used that dupont bed liner spray awhile back, and its just not tough enough. sometimes it will chip, peel etc.

so i was a Northern Hardware yesterday and usually the herculiner 1 gallon, with brush and rollers is like $100 but it was on sale for $70 so i got it.

Now do you think I can just roll the herculiner on right over the dupont stuff.. or do i have to take it off, i really dont want to take it off. and how many layers of herc do i use.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. mattadams

mattadams Tall Man Little Escape Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Longmont, CO
    2010 Escape XLT
    I'd say you probably oculd just roll it over, but I'd really recommend taking it off so that you could be assured of a good bond with the metal.
    For the bed fo the trucks they recommend two coats, most people use 3-4. For my bumper I used about 5 or 6 just ot be sure :).

4. wabbit

wabbit Active Member

City, State:
    Western Colorado
    the white one...
    from what I've heard...

For the most effective application of Herculiner, you should wash the hootus thoroughly to remove any excess grease and grime that may have accumulated.
    The average hootus can be sufficiently coated in one application. However, some hootus' will require several coats to build and form thus yeilding and acceptable thickness.
    Even though Herculiner has a lifetime warranty, it may be beneficial to re-coat the hootus annually. This is especially recommended if your hootus is high milage or is used in commercial applications.

5. BislamJoe

BislamJoe Active Member

City, State:
    Texarkana Texas
    1993 Explorer 4x4 XLT
    ...Oh God

:smoke:

What are you coating with Herc? You probably mentioned it in your post, but I missed it. I would think that you should strip the old stuff off, since it's flaking or whatever. Then just roll on the Herculiner over the metal.

6. BoatsRcool

BoatsRcool Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Greenville SC (Home) Clemson SC (School)
    GMC Yukon 4x4
    well, i got around to doing it this weekend. new problem. i coated the rockers with mineral spirits, to get the dupont crap off, but it wont come off. so i guess ill just have to roll the herc over it once it dries again.

also, i opened my herc gallon just to look at it, and it looked like a can of dip.. ???

7. rpenner54

rpenner54 Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

Media:
    City, State:
    Wichita KS
    98 Merc
    Take an electric sander to em... Thats what I did to my rockers. That and a grinder.

8. BislamJoe

BislamJoe Active Member

City, State:
    Texarkana Texas
    1993 Explorer 4x4 XLT
    And pee BEFORE you start working with the Herc... Bad things happen when nature calls and Herculiner answers... :smoke:

9. ok89

ok89 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    College Station, TX (school) / Houston, TX (Home)
    02 Wrangler X
    Warning: Always remain fully clothed when handling Herculiner!

On a side note Some guy on the DiRT (Dodge Ram) mailing list said he was going to Herculine his bed and another member told him not to get any on his hootus. I can't believe that everyone knows about that and it started on this great board. Oh well.:rolleyes:

Oh yeah for best adhesion i would sand down the dupont stuff or at least all the loose parts.