Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Help with microsoft excell

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by Brian1, September 20, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Brian1

Brian1 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Albuquerque, NM
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1991 XLT
      Callsign:
      KG5BAQ
      I have to open a text file within Excell and have all the data in it put into a spread sheet. (There is 1000 data samples from an oscilloscope) I then have to plot it with a best fit curve and do some other stuff. I cant figure out how to open the .txt file inside of excel. I tried for half an hour and got no where even with the help files. Can anyone help me? I can email the txt file if you can email me the excell file with the data in it or just tell me how to do it. Thanks

(I didnt think this really fit into the computer forum but if it does it can be moved)

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Fischer

Fischer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Durango, Colorado
      95 Explorer XLT 4x4
      Can you open it in word? Then you can copy and paste the line items into Excel. You can also possibly try to open it in Access and insert it into a table.

4. Blue Steel

Blue Steel Active Member

City, State:
      Wilmington, NC
      Explorer '97 XLT SOHC
      email the text file to Jason@particlemass.com and i'll take a look at it. depending on how the text file is formatted is if excel can read the file. what you can try to do is under excel - file - open - then when which types of files, click select all. then you open your text file and it should open it and format it to excel. if that doesn't work email it. good luck

5. VBVA

VBVA Go Dukes!

City, State:
      Northern Virginia
      '93 XL
      Thats what I usually do.

Highlight the text in word, hit control c to copy, go to your excel file, highlight the grids you want to paste them in and hit control v to paste. That should do it, then highlight the grids and click on chart to pull up your desired chrat or graph with all the equations and what not. Good luck!

6. JoKKer

JoKKer Active Member

City, State:
      Jacksonville, FL
      98 Explorer Sport
      You can possibly Export the file. depends on how the file was saved.

7. MrShorty

MrShorty Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Spanish Fork, UT
      92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
      I do this all the time. First question: in the open file dialog box it won't give you any options other than excel files? Do you know the file name? Even if it doesn't give you the option, you should be able to type in the name (filename.txt) and it will open the file. It will then give you the text import wizard where you can tell the beast how to parse (separate it into columns) the data. You then have several columns of numbers to with as you please.
      Another option is to use the import external data option on the Data menu. You then find the file in the same way as before and go through the import wizard and the data comes in. The advantage with this is, if the text in the data file changes, you can set it up to refresh the data in the spreadsheet from the file without having to go through this process again.
      If you have any questions/problems let me know. I do this all the time importing data from Fortran programs that we use here at work.

8. Brian1

Brian1 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Albuquerque, NM
      1991 XLT
      Callsign:
      KG5BAQ
      Thanks for the help. I will give it a shot when I get some time this weekend and let you know. I have to have the report done by thursday at the latest. Thanks again.

9. Brian1

Brian1 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Albuquerque, NM
      1991 XLT
      Callsign:
      KG5BAQ
      I got it to work. I just opened it within excell as said and told it how to seperate the data. Thanks.