Help With Rusting Chrome/Plastic Explorer Name Above Liftgate Button On Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help With Rusting Chrome/Plastic Explorer Name Above Liftgate Button On Limited

Wildcat_1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer
Hi all

Trying to identify a part

The explorer logo that is like a silver foil/plastic of the raised EXPLORER name that is across the liftgate on my 2013 Limited is starting to peel off ! Anyone know if this is covered by warranty and if not what is the part number for one of these chrome looking plastic pieces (the long one that goes across the back of the tailgate) and how easy/difficult is it to replace ?

Thanks

Not my car in the pic but this is the EXPLORER piece I was referring too

http://www.carpages.ca/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/IMG_6258.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like this could be part number 13B482BA, to me the flaking away of this part should be a warranty issue, anyone had any experience with this problem and also know how/what is involved with parts replacement of this piece, easy to do or not ?

I am being told 2 different things on this, 1 that the cross member and shield can be purchased for around $290 without camera but that would fit it and someone else telling me I would have to spend close to $700 with camera. I don't need the camera as I already have one that is working perfectly. It is just the flaking explorer name on the chrome/plastic piece. Can anyone help me decode this info please as I sure as you know what don't want/expect to spend close to $700 to replace a piece of plastic looking chrome that is flaking through no fault of mine

Thanks

It seems there are different prices for what essentially looks like the same thing.
Since I don't have my Ex any more, I can't look to see if this is one piece with the camera and license plate lights. The cheapest seems to be for the XLT without a camera.
I suggest that your first stop should be the dealer to see what they say.
Good luck.

Peter

Peter
Thanks for your reply. That was my first stop (by phone at least) and one dealer stated $294 for Shield & Cross member and used my VIN to tell me that was all I needed but the other even with the VIN told me the $700 which included the camera. I think we would all agree that if these chrome plastic pieces have to be purchased with a camera then that is ridiculous

Thanks

just checked that on my Ex limited and it is a definitely two different pieces: camera and Explorer badge, so push your dealer, but foremost read your warranty manual to check if its covered!

$700 for the "chrome" Explorer plastic across the rear - or was that $290?

Regardless, where are the aftermarket companies selling this for $60?

With the 5th gen. coming off warranty and aging, there is will be big aftermarket demand for this stuff.

Wildcat_1, you can try sending a private message to one of the site sponsors who is an authorized Ford parts and accessories dealer and see what they can do for you if this is not a warranty repair.

Levittown FordSuperCenter
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=196402

If you require further assistance with getting this looked at as a warranty issue you can try sending a private message to Crystal (FordService) to see what she can do to help. You can use this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.

Peter

Wildcat, logos are covered under the bumper to bumper. I have had the Ford logo replaced in the front of my truck as well as others for pealing.

Hi all

Trying to identify a part

The explorer logo that is like a silver foil/plastic of the raised EXPLORER name that is across the liftgate on my 2013 Limited is starting to peel off ! Anyone know if this is covered by warranty and if not what is the part number for one of these chrome looking plastic pieces (the long one that goes across the back of the tailgate) and how easy/difficult is it to replace ?

Thanks

Not my car in the pic but this is the EXPLORER piece I was referring too

http://www.carpages.ca/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/IMG_6258.jpg

Wildcat, the part is called the LICENSE LAMP SHIELD. It can be found here http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/P...earch=true&year=2014&make=Ford&model=Explorer

Installation is quite easy if you plan on keeping your original camera.

1) Open the liftgate and remove two 11mm acorn nuts. Each nut will be located next to the liftgate strut (shock) mounting point.
2) Close the liftgate and remove the four 10mm bolts beneath the shield. Two of the bolts will be on both sides of the license plate lights, while one more bolt on each side (for an additional two bolts) is a few inches further down the line.
3) Using a plastic pry tool (do not use anything extremely sharp or anything metal to avoid scratching or denting the body), pry the shield off of the body starting from the outer-most part of the shield and working towards the center of the vehicle. It will take a little bit of force, but it should pop out as you pry underneath the shield and pull it out.
4) Once the shield is popped out completely (or as you pop out a section at a time), it would be wise to completely wrap the shield in blue painters tape or any material. Because the shield will dangle by the rear-view camera wire, it will swing back and forth and likely scratch the paint. Use the tape to cushion the deceptively sharp edges of all parts of the shield to prevent this.
5) Look carefully at the camera and how it is mounted. Take pictures if you have to because re-installation can be tricky--it can often be easier to take things apart than put them back together.
6) The camera sits inside in a housing that mounts at three points. A small plate holds the back of the camera in place, and a Torx screw is attached to the housing. Take out the Torx screw (sorry I forgot the size). Then push the clips on both sides of the housing towards each other. you should be able to push the camera case through the shield frame.
7) At this point the license lamp shield should be free, and can be replaced/painted/whatever.
8) Be advised that the shield has other wires for the lights, etc. They are zip tied, wrapped, and fed through certain areas to prevent wire-pinching, etc. Try not to loosen or move these wires.

Note: If for some reason you want/need to change your camera too, follow the steps above. But you will also need to remove the interior liftgate panels/trim in order to disconnect the camera wire.

The OP shouldn't have to go through that procedure as blwnsmoke indicated, it should be covered by the factory warranty. Good to know though how it can be done.:thumbsup:

Peter

It should be covered under warranty. I know some guys on the SHO forums were needing the chrome trim (trunk & tail lights) replaced after some time with similar issues.

Should be covered in the warranty period.

A 2012 explorer of some friends has a heavy case of tailgate rusting:
I inspected it closely and it turns out it's the chrome bar striking/chipping away on the paint on both sides of the license plate tub (upper left/right corners of the tub). They don't wash their ex very often, so I am sure it accelerates the problem. I baby our ex and wash it every week and wax it twice a year, at least. So I go check on my ex and I have the same chipping problem! Although the rust has not began on mine.
It seems that the chrome bar strikes the tailgate probably during tailgate slam/closing chipping away the paint.
I suggest you inspect your ex closely for this defect and make sure your tailgate chrome bar is tightly fastened down.

I inspected it closely and it turns out it's the chrome bar striking/chipping away on the paint on both sides of the license plate tub (upper left/right corners of the tub). They don't wash their ex very often, so I am sure it accelerates the problem. I baby our ex and wash it every week and wax it twice a year, at least. So I go check on my ex and I have the same chipping problem! Although the rust has not began on mine.
It seems that the chrome bar strikes the tailgate probably during tailgate slam/closing chipping away the paint.
I suggest you inspect your ex closely for this defect and make sure your tailgate chrome bar is tightly fastened down.

I'm not sure I follow. Can you post pictures?

I would recommend, if you have any chipping paint to either have the dealer fix it (if under warranty), or get some touch up paint and cover the bare metal.

I'm not sure I follow. Can you post pictures?

I would recommend, if you have any chipping paint to either have the dealer fix it (if under warranty), or get some touch up paint and cover the bare metal.

I don't have pictures of my friends explorer with the defect, but the rust is occurring on the upper lef/right corners of the license plate depression, where the corners meet the horizontal chrome bar.

Attachments

• GWdtbzJ_001.JPG
    GWdtbzJ_001.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 731

this might help:

Thanks. I'll take a look on mine tonight

Always look for rust in those areas if buying used Ex and look for cracked/damaged paint if a new Ex.

The way the chrome cross bar goes on, it has plastic extensions that attach to the body of the car in those exact areas, and when putting the chrome bar on in production (or if it is taken off and put on for any reason after purchase) it is easy to scratch the paint in that area while attaching the chrome part, and the scratched paint gets water in it and it rusts.

Expensive fix is to repaint lower part of liftgate. Inexpensive fix is to very carefully sand down those little areas, put a permanent anti-rust treatment on it and then touch-up paint.

All

Just wanted to provide an update. Took to the dealer and they stated if it wasn't a digital image type replacement (where Ford has images taken and sent to them for approval of work) then it would probably not be covered. Luckily this area did not fall under that so the work was completed under warranty.

Crazy as it may seem (as more expensive) the whole piece including new camera was replaced however the SW was not updated at the time so now I have no trajectory or active lines when reversing ! This means another dealer visit.

Wildcat, logos are covered under the bumper to bumper. I have had the Ford logo replaced in the front of my truck as well as others for pealing.

I was pumping gas today an noticed rust spots where the glass in the tailgate meets the metal....lots of them! I got home and looked more it's rust above the ford emblem, all over the "chrome" explorer bar. Looks like someone peppered the tailgate of my car with rust. :( Inspected the rest of the car, hood, doors, roof, no rust there. Just the tailgate. Due for inspection before end of the month. Wouldn't expect my car to be rusting when it just turned 2! It's a 2013.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back