Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Help With Rusting Chrome/Plastic Explorer Name Above Liftgate Button On Limited

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by Wildcat_1, June 16, 2014.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Wildcat_1

Wildcat_1 Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2013 Explorer
    Hi all

Trying to identify a part

The explorer logo that is like a silver foil/plastic of the raised EXPLORER name that is across the liftgate on my 2013 Limited is starting to peel off ! Anyone know if this is covered by warranty and if not what is the part number for one of these chrome looking plastic pieces (the long one that goes across the back of the tailgate) and how easy/difficult is it to replace ?

Thanks

Not my car in the pic but this is the EXPLORER piece I was referring too

http://www.carpages.ca/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/IMG_6258.jpg

Last edited: June 16, 2014
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Wildcat_1

Wildcat_1 Member

2013 Explorer
    Looks like this could be part number 13B482BA, to me the flaking away of this part should be a warranty issue, anyone had any experience with this problem and also know how/what is involved with parts replacement of this piece, easy to do or not ?

4. Wildcat_1

Wildcat_1 Member

2013 Explorer
    I am being told 2 different things on this, 1 that the cross member and shield can be purchased for around $290 without camera but that would fit it and someone else telling me I would have to spend close to $700 with camera. I don't need the camera as I already have one that is working perfectly. It is just the flaking explorer name on the chrome/plastic piece. Can anyone help me decode this info please as I sure as you know what don't want/expect to spend close to $700 to replace a piece of plastic looking chrome that is flaking through no fault of mine

Thanks

5. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    It seems there are different prices for what essentially looks like the same thing.
    Since I don't have my Ex any more, I can't look to see if this is one piece with the camera and license plate lights. The cheapest seems to be for the XLT without a camera.
    I suggest that your first stop should be the dealer to see what they say.
    Good luck.

Peter

6. Wildcat_1

Wildcat_1 Member

2013 Explorer
    Peter
    Thanks for your reply. That was my first stop (by phone at least) and one dealer stated $294 for Shield & Cross member and used my VIN to tell me that was all I needed but the other even with the VIN told me the $700 which included the camera. I think we would all agree that if these chrome plastic pieces have to be purchased with a camera then that is ridiculous

Thanks

7. RedDen

RedDen Active Member

City, State:
    Calgary
    2012 Explorer Limited
    just checked that on my Ex limited and it is a definitely two different pieces: camera and Explorer badge, so push your dealer, but foremost read your warranty manual to check if its covered!

8. tmg19103

tmg19103 Active Member

City, State:
    Philadelphia, PA
    2011 XLT AWD
    $700 for the "chrome" Explorer plastic across the rear - or was that $290?

Regardless, where are the aftermarket companies selling this for $60?

With the 5th gen. coming off warranty and aging, there is will be big aftermarket demand for this stuff.

9. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Wildcat_1, you can try sending a private message to one of the site sponsors who is an authorized Ford parts and accessories dealer and see what they can do for you if this is not a warranty repair.

Levittown FordSuperCenter
    http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=196402

If you require further assistance with getting this looked at as a warranty issue you can try sending a private message to Crystal (FordService) to see what she can do to help. You can use this link;
    http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
    When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.

Peter

10. blwnsmoke

blwnsmoke Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    2020 Explorer ST
    Wildcat, logos are covered under the bumper to bumper. I have had the Ford logo replaced in the front of my truck as well as others for pealing.

11. SHAD0W

SHAD0W Active Member

2018 Velar

Wildcat, the part is called the LICENSE LAMP SHIELD. It can be found here http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/P...earch=true&year=2014&make=Ford&model=Explorer

Installation is quite easy if you plan on keeping your original camera.

1) Open the liftgate and remove two 11mm acorn nuts. Each nut will be located next to the liftgate strut (shock) mounting point.
    2) Close the liftgate and remove the four 10mm bolts beneath the shield. Two of the bolts will be on both sides of the license plate lights, while one more bolt on each side (for an additional two bolts) is a few inches further down the line.
    3) Using a plastic pry tool (do not use anything extremely sharp or anything metal to avoid scratching or denting the body), pry the shield off of the body starting from the outer-most part of the shield and working towards the center of the vehicle. It will take a little bit of force, but it should pop out as you pry underneath the shield and pull it out.
    4) Once the shield is popped out completely (or as you pop out a section at a time), it would be wise to completely wrap the shield in blue painters tape or any material. Because the shield will dangle by the rear-view camera wire, it will swing back and forth and likely scratch the paint. Use the tape to cushion the deceptively sharp edges of all parts of the shield to prevent this.
    5) Look carefully at the camera and how it is mounted. Take pictures if you have to because re-installation can be tricky--it can often be easier to take things apart than put them back together.
    6) The camera sits inside in a housing that mounts at three points. A small plate holds the back of the camera in place, and a Torx screw is attached to the housing. Take out the Torx screw (sorry I forgot the size). Then push the clips on both sides of the housing towards each other. you should be able to push the camera case through the shield frame.
    7) At this point the license lamp shield should be free, and can be replaced/painted/whatever.
    8) Be advised that the shield has other wires for the lights, etc. They are zip tied, wrapped, and fed through certain areas to prevent wire-pinching, etc. Try not to loosen or move these wires.

Note: If for some reason you want/need to change your camera too, follow the steps above. But you will also need to remove the interior liftgate panels/trim in order to disconnect the camera wire.

Last edited: July 14, 2014
  12. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    The OP shouldn't have to go through that procedure as blwnsmoke indicated, it should be covered by the factory warranty. Good to know though how it can be done.:thumbsup:

Peter

13. nick3941sd

nick3941sd Member

City, State:
    Buffalo, NY
    2014 Ford Explorer Sport
    It should be covered under warranty. I know some guys on the SHO forums were needing the chrome trim (trunk & tail lights) replaced after some time with similar issues.

Should be covered in the warranty period.

14. new to ford

new to ford Active Member

City, State:
    Rochester Hills, MI
    11XLT202A 17Sport401A
    A 2012 explorer of some friends has a heavy case of tailgate rusting:
    I inspected it closely and it turns out it's the chrome bar striking/chipping away on the paint on both sides of the license plate tub (upper left/right corners of the tub). They don't wash their ex very often, so I am sure it accelerates the problem. I baby our ex and wash it every week and wax it twice a year, at least. So I go check on my ex and I have the same chipping problem! Although the rust has not began on mine.
    It seems that the chrome bar strikes the tailgate probably during tailgate slam/closing chipping away the paint.
    I suggest you inspect your ex closely for this defect and make sure your tailgate chrome bar is tightly fastened down.

15. jrmexplorer

jrmexplorer Well-Known Member

2011 Limited
    I'm not sure I follow. Can you post pictures?

I would recommend, if you have any chipping paint to either have the dealer fix it (if under warranty), or get some touch up paint and cover the bare metal.

16. new to ford

new to ford Active Member

City, State:
    Rochester Hills, MI
    11XLT202A 17Sport401A
    I don't have pictures of my friends explorer with the defect, but the rust is occurring on the upper lef/right corners of the license plate depression, where the corners meet the horizontal chrome bar.

17. jrmexplorer

jrmexplorer Well-Known Member

2011 Limited

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: June 30, 2014
  18. tmg19103

tmg19103 Active Member

City, State:
    Philadelphia, PA
    2011 XLT AWD

19. Wildcat_1

Wildcat_1 Member

2013 Explorer
    All

Just wanted to provide an update. Took to the dealer and they stated if it wasn't a digital image type replacement (where Ford has images taken and sent to them for approval of work) then it would probably not be covered. Luckily this area did not fall under that so the work was completed under warranty.

Crazy as it may seem (as more expensive) the whole piece including new camera was replaced however the SW was not updated at the time so now I have no trajectory or active lines when reversing ! This means another dealer visit.

20. Kristiliz

Kristiliz New Member

2013 Explorer XLT
    I was pumping gas today an noticed rust spots where the glass in the tailgate meets the metal....lots of them! I got home and looked more it's rust above the ford emblem, all over the "chrome" explorer bar. Looks like someone peppered the tailgate of my car with rust. :( Inspected the rest of the car, hood, doors, roof, no rust there. Just the tailgate. Due for inspection before end of the month. Wouldn't expect my car to be rusting when it just turned 2! It's a 2013.

21. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3