Help with WEIRD drivetrain noise... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with WEIRD drivetrain noise...

coheed

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 4x4 v6
I have done a few searches, but I think I need a little bit better of an explanation than I've found.

Here are my symptoms:

1994 Explorer 4x4 (w/manual hubs)

When I'm on the highway, I get a loud "whining/whurring" noise from the driveline. I can't tell if it's the rear diff or the driveshaft itself, but something along that line. When I let off of the gas it goes away.

BUT... It seems to come back at low speeds (think <15mph) when I'm coasting to like a stop light... I can hear it, but it goes away for the split second that the transmission downshifts into 1st gear (auto tranny).

I see a bunch of info on bearings/pinions/rear-end numbers, and honestly I'm pretty mechanically inclined, I just don't know much about 4wd/rwd.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
And, just an fyi... Front wheel bearings are brand new, all 4 shocks all the way around are brand new, all 4 brakes all around are brand new. All of that done 50 miles ago...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did this noise exist before you did the front end work?

I have the same problem with my winter X. It is a bearing in the rear diff. rear pinion bearing which i was told.

Can you provide more details? I'd like to fix this, as it doesn't sound very safe...

Sry for late reply. It would cost 400-600 to repair..... I was told its a bad bearing that has gotten loose.... Heres my status with my winter X when i first got this problem. It was 5 yrs ago and put almost 30,000 on it since the problem started it hasnt gotten worse or louder?. But my winter X has 252,000 and i only drive it 6 month out of the year with a avg. of 3500 miles.... Thats really all the info i have to give.

Back