Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Help - Won't pass inspection Backup lights not working

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by goneawayfarm, May 31, 2010.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. goneawayfarm

goneawayfarm New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    Ok so I got this new to me 96 explorer and took it for inspection and the backup/reverse lights do not work. The fuse is blown, put in new fuse shifted to reverse blew that one too. Searched the forum and thought got it.. it is the OD wire in the steering column. Well not so fast. The wire is fine. So I made and installed a circuit breaker in the #26 fuse spot and started trouble shooting. There is no short at the tail light assembly, all the wiring that I can get to between the transmission neutral/reverse saftey switch is fine. I have spent hours on this at this point and am at a loss. I disconnected the rear window defoggger at the rear glass and disconnected the defogger switch. Still no luck.
    Here is what I know. With the car not running but the key on and the shift in reverse I can sometimes get the reverse lights to stay on. I have been able to do this a couple of times in the past two days. But if I then start the car and put it in reverse by the time I get to the end of the driveway the breaker has tripped again. Then there is nothing that I can do to get the reverse lights working again. Given some time for me to cool off, I have been able to get the lights to work again without touching anything. But put it in reverse and move it and the same thing happens again.

ANY IDEAS???

Does anyone know how to electrically trouble shoot the neutral/reverse saftey switch that is mounted on the transmission where the shift linkage enters?? I am beginning to think that the short must be in there!

Thanks
    Michael

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. jremington59

jremington59 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Watertown, NY
    1997, 99 and 2000 5.0's
    You must have a bare spot in a wire somewhere. Look at the socket first. I had one that rotted and was causing the problems. If thats not it your going to have to trace the wire..... Good luck, lol, it can get tedious. I had a friend with this problem with his brake light and he put in a bigger fuse to get it to pass. But you better be careful or you'll find the short in a way you don't want to.

4. goneawayfarm

goneawayfarm New Member

Thanks for the response but I have checked the wiring at and around the tail light twice. There are no exposed wires there.

5. jremington59

jremington59 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Watertown, NY
    1997, 99 and 2000 5.0's
    If you're sure there's nothing wrong with the socket You're going to have to trace the wires and look for the short.