HELP.. Wont start, has a lot of errors (Resolved) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP.. Wont start, has a lot of errors (Resolved)

Aciancio

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Base
Went to start my 2013 Explorer tonight and it wouldn't even try to start. Came up with a whole list of errors (see pic). I tried unhooking the battery for 20 min to reset the system with no change. I checked most of the fuses in the power box under the hood but it was dark so I just took my wife's car. Anybody seen this before or have any ideas what would cause this?

PicsArt_12-03-10.06.58.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you check the battery? A bad or weak battery can cause all kinds of 'weird' symptoms. That's where I'd start.

Peter

Original battery? If so, probably toast. We have seen as Peter mentioned all kinds of warnings go off due to low voltage.

Bad battery. My 2016 did the same thing when the battery went. Normally I replace batteries at the end of the 3rd year, This one beat me to it.

The battery is only 3months old. I thru the charger on it just to make sure. It made no difference. I left the terminal off the battery for a day, ran a jumper between the + & - cables with the battery disconnected to try and reset the control modules. Nothing has made any difference.
It seems like there is a comm issue of some sort, all the errors are powertrain sensor related. And it wont connect to my OBDII reader. the reader powers up so I know there is power at the port but it never connects.

I'd still have the battery checked out. One member took his to Auto Zone and they said it was good. Then he went to the dealer and they found that there was a short in it. Do you have access to another battery? Just to rule the battery out as the possible issue.

Peter

Do you know if the explorer's can run without a battery, just off the alternator? or are the electronics to sensitive? I could disconnect the battery and try a strait jump off my van.

Do you know if the explorer's can run without a battery, just off the alternator? or are the electronics to sensitive? I could disconnect the battery and try a strait jump off my van.
I'm not sure about that. I know previous (older) vehicles could but then they weren't loaded down with all the electronics we currently have. Perhaps someone with more knowledge would be able to answer that. It was a thought that actually crossed my mind earlier.

Peter

Well, hooking up a different battery didn't make any difference either. one thing I did notice, it may be normal but I've never tried/noticed before. with the key out, everything off, and the doors locked using the key fob. I can turn on the radio. Nothing makes sense right now

Well, hooking up a different battery didn't make any difference either. one thing I did notice, it may be normal but I've never tried/noticed before. with the key out, everything off, and the doors locked using the key fob. I can turn on the radio. Nothing makes sense right now
The radio and visor buttons are always powered. They are not affected by the ignition being ON or OFF.

Peter

I ordered a ELM327 adapter today. Hopefully FORSCAN can help me figure this issue out.

I agree with peterk9 about battery issue. I see it is a 2013 which may be different with battery type. My 2017 Explorer and wife's niece 2018 Explorer both had batteries take a crap and had starting issues with all kinds of faults displayed. Both had under 10k miles. Ford factory batteries in both and under warranty. Battery change may be easier than trial & error.

Update: I downloaded forscan and plugged in the adaptor. It wont connect to the explorer. I tried the system on a transit to make sure the adaptor I bought was working, it linked right up. I'm not sure what it means but there is obviously a computer problem the is effecting the OBDii port as well.

I would start by checking the fuse for the OBDII port

The OBDii port has power, just no communication. I am going to take the battery in for a load test but I don’t think that is my problem as I connected a different battery with no change. Also all my Aux lights run fine and don’t show any signs of voltage issues.

No communication with any modules? Whats the voltage at the OBD port? Does it drop significantly when the headlights are turned on?

Update:
I had it towed to the dealership last week and they just got back to me today. “Rodent damage” turns out something chewed thru the harness under the battery box. I never would have found that.

Update:
I had it towed to the dealership last week and they just got back to me today. “Rodent damage” turns out something chewed thru the harness under the battery box. I never would have found that.

Thank you for following up with what the problem was. Not the first time some mice or other rodents have nestled in and did wiring damage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unfortunately all this new wiring sheathing is made from a byproduct of rice. It must be pretty tasty......

Back