1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. MotorCraft

MotorCraft New Member

City, State:
      Berlin MA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      99 Ranger XLT
      Ok a friend of the family gave me a cobra 29LTD or within that number. I hooked it all up and it turns on lights up and takes up space but i can't get the damn thing to pick up anything or send anything out. Not even static.:mad: HELp i have a magnet mount Antanna(SP) that i got from my dad he used it on a older cobra. I wired it up threw the Cig lighter with a old Cell Phone charger that i ........Found....... is this maybe why its not working?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Jason_25

Jason_25 Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member

City, State:
      New Bern, NC
      '95 Explorer "Expedition"
      Have you made sure that the squelch is turned all the way down and the volume turned up?

4. MotorCraft

MotorCraft New Member

City, State:
      Berlin MA
      99 Ranger XLT
      yes.:rolleyes:

LOL

5. Ray Hutchinson

Ray Hutchinson Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Dana Point, CA
      '93 XLT
      cell phone charger???

MC,

It is possible that the "cell phone charger" has a voltage dropping circuit in it that doesn't give you a full 12 Volts. Most radios need a minimum of 11 to a max. of 14 volts to work properly

Radio Shack sells cigarette lighter plugs, that you can use to make up a power cord if you want to go that way. You should get the Heavy Duty model that comes with an internal fuse.

Generally, we don't reccomend hooking a CB up to the cigarette lighter for a variety of reasons: reliability, safety, static pick up, to name a few.
      Direct wiring to the battery. with both positive and negative leads, fused at the battery, is the best way to go, IMHO. Also however you go, ALWAYS be sure to observe the correct polarity, i.e., red wire to positive, black to ground. Reversing the polarity, even for a few seconds can kill your radio! Many radios have polarity protection diodes that will act like fuses, and blow if the radio is hooked up backwards, but it takes a radio tech, or at least somebody pretty knowledgeable to install a new diode.... if you take it to a shop, the repair can cost more than a new radio!

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

6. Crankcase

Crankcase Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Vancouver B.C, Canada
      1992 XL Ex-Police
      Is the meter on the front going up when the mic is keyed up? If it isn't, than you probably need a new mic. I have heard of some Cobra's needing a working mic to let the CB receive signals as well as transmit them....

7. Alec

Alec Elite Moderator Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Houston, Texas
      2008 JK
      Yup, definately make sure the signal meter goes up when you key the mic.

8. MotorCraft

MotorCraft New Member

City, State:
      Berlin MA
      99 Ranger XLT
      The little Thing does not go up i will try my fathers mic when he gets home to see if that works. The cell phone plug i used does have a Fuse in it And the CB has a Fuse coming from itself. I will try the mic if that does not work i guess i am SOL.