Hey! New old guy (80) from sunny SoCal. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hey! New old guy (80) from sunny SoCal.

Ragnar

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Ford Expl Platinum
Bought '92 XLT 4wd new, changed oil regularly so was like new when I gave it to a tenant in 2012. Did online build for a 2010 with all bells and whistles (4wd, V-8, remote start, etc.) except electric running boards and GPS. Still great vehicle, but 2020 intrigues me. More bells and whistles which might be what old farts need, e.g. forward and rear warning alarms, lane keeping system, etc.
Advice, please. Keep the '10 as proven model and last one on Ranger platform , with the jackrabbit V-8 and 5-speed? Give the unknown 2020 a go since I can't take it with me ($60,000+ for loaded Platinum)? Turn in my license since at 80 I shouldn't be on the road?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Keep the '10 as proven model and last one on Ranger platform , with the jackrabbit V-8 and 5-speed?

That is what I would do.

By the way, Welcome to the forum!

That is what I would do.

Thanks, shucker1 for welcome and input. Woud be hard to give up the '10 for unknown first issue.

I have a 2016 Edge (son’s) and 2013 Taurus (wife’s) that have alot of those things - lane keeping, parallel parking assist, front camera, panoramic roof, etc. They’re interesting, but never get used after playing with them in the beginning.

Just traded in the 2013 Taurus. Looked online at the 2020 Explorers, but the added cost (and risk of “new model” problems) wasn’t worth it to me. Bought a 2019 Explorer XLT with all the necessities (for me) - navigation, power seats/windows, rear camera, rear and side sensors, a/c, heated seats, power rear door, intelligent 4wd. Had nice discounts to move them off the lot. About $42,000 (before $5,000 trade in) with all fees and 8% sales tax.

Do that and head to Vegas with what you save.

That is what I would do.

I have a 2016 Edge (son’s) and 2013 Taurus (wife’s) that have alot of those things - lane keeping, parallel parking assist, front camera, panoramic roof, etc. They’re interesting, but never get used after playing with them in the beginning.

Just traded in the 2013 Taurus. Looked online at the 2020 Explorers, but the added cost (and risk of “new model” problems) wasn’t worth it to me. Bought a 2019 Explorer XLT with all the necessities (for me) - navigation, power seats/windows, rear camera, rear and side sensors, a/c, heated seats, power rear door, intelligent 4wd. Had nice discounts to move them off the lot. About $42,000 (before $5,000 trade in) with all fees and 8% sales tax.

Do that and head to Vegas with what you save.
Thanks, seville009. Had been looking at the 2019. Then along came the 2020 announcement and I was wide-eyed like a kid in candy store. Glad to read input from you first responders.

Welcome.

welcome.

the smart-ass in me would relish in voting for option "C".

best case scenario is that you hold off for 12 months.
once you're 81 years young, get the second-year model and live it up with that one.

that first-year model is sure to be improved on.

Welcome to the forum. I'd say keep your license.

Back