• Register Today It's free!

Heya with an old 93 xlt

thevishnu

Reaction score
City, State
Marysville
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993, Ford Explorer XLT
So, some how or another. I wound up with my dad's old 93. "Since you seem to be into fixing cars and trucks these days, want the Explorer?" "You still have that thing? Heh! Yeah sure. Seems odd to have the green machine I took my drivers test in."

So, after a week of having the rig, I really like the thing. Reminds me of my old xj.

So, the downside is it has 290k/mi on her, needs a new headliner (someone steam cleaned it o_O), and for me to throw some clear on the top. Otherwise, it has a fully redone front suspension (bushings, tie rods, ball joints, etc) from what I can see.

So far in the past week, replaced a bunch of vac hoses, pcv, blower fan & resistor, burned up maf, coilpack (cylinder balance test showed some lovely red spark on two cyls vs the blue), and for the hell of it, a few relays. I do have an injector not holding pressure on cylinder 6 (mmm leaky), so that'll be a project in a few months after I have time to fully compression test and leak down. If those are good, then sure .. injectors. Also it does backfire into the exhaust under load @ wot around 3800rpms (reason for wanting to do compression test vs assuming it's an injector dribbling vs lets say another issue like a flattened cam lobe, bent rod, etc).

Funny how it works, givin something I'm more stoked about restoring than some others in the past, and in a weeks time I'm already considering rebuilding another 4.0 block to swap in down the road. :)

Cheers,
Vish

20180311_102333.jpg

20180318_005202.jpg

20180318_005357.jpg

That looks like a really nice Explorer for the miles it has. Welcome to the forum and thanks for joining the Elite Explorers:chug:

Back