HHO: Is it alchemy? Or will it improve gas mileage on a ’99 4.0 SOHC Explorer? | Page 34 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HHO: Is it alchemy? Or will it improve gas mileage on a ’99 4.0 SOHC Explorer?

alright I just got my maf enhancer in the mail 10 minutes ago. The unit has 3 wires coming out of it labeled ground, maf, and ecm. I have my haynes manual and am trying to figure out which wire goes where, except i think i can figure out ground ha. Does the one labeled ECM go to the "signal" wire and the one labeled maf go to the "b+" wire? I just want to make sure . Thanks.

edit:
nevermind, I just realized you cut the wire and put it through the same wire. It should be the signal wire correct??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whats happening with all the HHO testers?

I am having problems with the acrylic that I am using to encase my cell cracking. I am really baffled by this. I went run more tests on the cell lastnight ater 3 days of not running and found a crack across the width of the cell. My best guess is that the heating and cooling is causing it. Once this stupid tropical storm goes by and I can get back in the machine shop I am going to try using somthing a little softer like pvc instead of acrylic.

Wet

Different plastics have different resistance to chemicals.

For example, acrylic has only fair resistance to sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) at room temp and is not recommended for use at 120°F.

Polycarbonate has better resistance to baking soda, at least at room temp.

http://www.millerplastics.net/chemical_resistance_chart.html

i modify'd my old design from +n-+n-+n-+n- to +nnn-, also installing an ammeter, that and with the Olympics going on its hard to do stuff at night :p

i modify'd my old design from +n-+n-+n-+n- to +nnn-, also installing an ammeter, that and with the Olympics going on its hard to do stuff at night :p

Hey Stack,

I am by no means an expert at HHO but if I may make a suggestion based on my own results and research. The optimum voltage per cell ( gap between plates) is 2.2v to 2.4v. In your +nnn- design you have 4 cells. At 12v thats 3v per cell and at 14v it is 3.5v. If you were to add 2 more neutral plates to your design +nnnnn- your voltage per cell drops to 2v at 12v and 2.3 at 14v.

at 12v the voltage is a little low but since I plan on running my cell at current as high as 40 to 50 amps with my current limiting pwm I dont mind the voltage being slightly low.

My $.02

Wet

Whats happening with all the HHO testers?

Well I just added the 2nd HHO Gen. to my Mounty. I hope this will help increase the mpg on the road. I was getting about a 10% increase in mpg in town put no inprovement on the highway with one HHO Gen. Just figured the V-8 needs more brown gas.

stupid question?

When hydrogen burns it bonds with the oxygen in the air, and creates water. Are there any side effects to the steam being created in the engine? I generally try to keep H2O out of that... ;)

Hey Stack,

I am by no means an expert at HHO but if I may make a suggestion based on my own results and research. The optimum voltage per cell ( gap between plates) is 2.2v to 2.4v. In your +nnn- design you have 4 cells. At 12v thats 3v per cell and at 14v it is 3.5v. If you were to add 2 more neutral plates to your design +nnnnn- your voltage per cell drops to 2v at 12v and 2.3 at 14v.

at 12v the voltage is a little low but since I plan on running my cell at current as high as 40 to 50 amps with my current limiting pwm I dont mind the voltage being slightly low.

My $.02

Wet

it might be +nnnn-.... cant remember but ya i know, some of the other plates wouldn't fit very well on there. good info for other to know though. thanks

When hydrogen burns it bonds with the oxygen in the air, and creates water. Are there any side effects to the steam being created in the engine? I generally try to keep H2O out of that... ;)

any combustion involving hydrocarbons produces water.

Gasoline Is a hydrocarbon. Therefore there is ALWAYS water in the engine.

From my reading at water4gas, and with my own experimentation, if you have a computer in your rig as I do in my 03 Ranger, then you need to gain control over it. Otherwise it senses too much oxygen and leans out your mixture and you don't gain much, if anything. There seem to be two avenues of attack. Some are abe to augment the signals at the MAP sensor, but most fords have MAF sensors which are more difficult. Then other avenue is at the oxygen sensor/s. Some wrap them in aluminum foil on the outside, some use an extender, others tap into it with an electronic enhancer that you can make if you have the know how, or buy. I suggest trying the aluminum foil. It helped me somewhat. I'm in the process of installing my electronic oxygen sensor enhancer to see what that does.
Best of luck,
Mark

From my reading at water4gas, and with my own experimentation, if you have a computer in your rig as I do in my 03 Ranger, then you need to gain control over it. Otherwise it senses too much oxygen and leans out your mixture and you don't gain much, if anything.

Actually it richens the mixture.

any combustion involving hydrocarbons produces water.

Gasoline Is a hydrocarbon. Therefore there is ALWAYS water in the engine.

whoah ur right. wow i feel stupid. Forgettimg my chemistry. see? i knew it was a stupid question!

Hello,

I have a question !!

I must determine wich wire is which on MAF of 98 SOHC.

Can you help me please ??

I want to install MAF Sensor Enhancer, and i must connect 3 wires, the black on the ground (easy), the red on the ECU, the green on the MAF sensor...

Thank you

Good bye.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should test each wire to determine the proper one.

The correct wire should have about 0.9 to 1.0 volts at idle and will increase in voltage when engine rpm is increased

Back