• Register Today It's free!

Hi, and I need help. Overheating.

NickRT

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
Hi, I own a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4x4. I recently did a radiator flush about 5 days prior to my "incident". I did a quick drive to stretch its legs a bit. About 5-7 minutes into the ride I notice my temperature skyrocket and my check gauge light came on. I pulled over immediately. I noticed coolant spewing out of the reservoir. I drove it very lightly home after it cooled. Even though i lightly drove it, same thing happened again. I was told it could be the thermostat or water pump. I just replaced the thermostat and housing about 2 months ago? Is it clogged from the flush? How should I go about this?

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it were me fill the radiator and run it for about 4min. then empty it out repeat about 2 times. fill and see what happens. If you have a bad thermostat replace it same goes with water pump and then fill with coolant remember there's some air that gets stuck in there and it takes a while for it to burp out, take your cap off when it cools down.Repeat a few times.

I had the same issue with mine after I flushed. I found a YouTube video that showed how to bleed the air out of the system and it helped. Used a funnel at the cap location and let it cycle a few times. A lot more air in it than I expected. Hope that helps.

Why did you do the radiator flush to begin with? Were you having some cooling problems beforehand? If not, I would agree...sounds like you didn't get the air out of the system. Park the truck with the front end up in the air a little as air always migrates to the highest point in the system. Leave the cap off and let it idle. As it warms up, the air will bubble out the top (don't fill the radiator all the way to the top during this bleeding process so as to minimize any coolant from bubbling out with the air). Top it off when done and you should be good to go. All this assumes your new t-stat is good AND was installed right side up. Seriously doubt it's your water pump.

You could lift the front of your truck good and high and run the motor. it might help get some of that air out by changing the high spots in the coolant system. its tough to burp these trucks.

If your thermostat isn't equipped with what's called a "rattle valve", drill a pressure relief hole in the outside part of the thermostat housing. Use a 1/8" drill bit. This allows pressure to equalize at the thermostat and prevents coolant air pockets.

However, with the recent flush, you might have a clogged radiator. Might have to remove it and turn upside down to completely clean...

Some people pull the radiator to check for a clog, take it out, and weigh it, weight will tell you a lot. Also rather than drill a hole in the thermostat, some people use an Aspirin in the thermostat, they open it by hand and stick one or two in it to open it, and when it gets hot and wet they dissolve but the system is bled before that happens.

THANK YOU, that one blew over my head. I got a new thermostat (with the valve) just in case. I filled up my radiator cold, then filled up again when it was on. I actually got to drive it around the neighborhood rather than down one street lol. I feel so stupid now :)

Back