Hi everyone. I just bought a beater. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hi everyone. I just bought a beater.

Sbeghan

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer 4x4 Manual
Hi everyone. I just bought a beater for my business. Goal is to do some towing once a month moving crap around. I do have a problem though, which is that I like to take better care of my beaters than most people take of their daily drivers.

For $1000 I got a driving beater with no major transmission or engine issues that I'm aware of. However, the PO definitely let it go. I'm working on getting all the systems cleaned out and replaced with fresh synthetic fluids.

Already did two heavy doses of fuel system cleaner (2 cups mineral spirits, 1/2 cup toluene, handful of napthalene), two gallons of DI water down the intake (decarb), and a quart of ATF in the engine oil (the oil looked bad before, now it looks like mud). The knocking is still there, though, so I suspect that something in the head is worn out and I just won't worry about it.

The steering was really bad when I got it, and when I looked in the PS pump reservoir I could see the impeller and it was in some sort of brown-black goo. I made an emergency stop to add fresh fluid and a flush is on the list.

The clutch fluid looks like grey grease. I gotta figure out where to bleed it.

I got some Valvoline MaxLife ATF to do the transmission with and transfer case. I'm not clear on whether to use ATF or gear oil in the differentials.

Nothing happens when I press the 4x4 button. Sometimes the clutch pedal sensor gets stuck on "pressed in" even when I'm not pressing it - this lets me start the car without pressing the clutch and the cruise control doesn't work. The gas gauge is broke. AC is broke. Front passenger seat is broken. Rear hatch is broken and won't open.

It had low brake fluid when I got it (abs light was on), I'm in the process of fixing it and that's another thread. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3291215#post3291215

Back