Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Hi from Michigan

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by taylorjm, July 18, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. taylorjm

taylorjm New Member

City, State:
    Saginaw, MI
    Hi everyone. Well I don't own an explorer yet, but I think I've narrowed my search down to a 2001 2-door, 4x4 explorer sport. I'm just looking for a second vehicle/toy. From what I read, that's the first year they somehow upgraded the engine to a 210hp v6, but correct me if I'm wrong. Anyone have some suggestions or comments about my choice, I would appreciate it! Especially in the area of reliability, such as what I should look for that was replaced or could need replacing for that model year.

Jeff

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Brooklyn, NY
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    Welcome to this forum! The V8 is a better choice. The SOHC V6 has timing chain/tensioner issues.

4. taylorjm

taylorjm New Member

City, State:
    Saginaw, MI
    They put a v8 in the 2 door explorer sport??? Do you know what year they started doing that??

5. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Brooklyn, NY
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    The 4 door models have a V8, although you could swap a V8 into it if you decide to buy one with a dead V6.

6. taylorjm

taylorjm New Member

City, State:
    Saginaw, MI
    So were the OHV pre 2001 v6 engines more reliable than the newer SOHC v6 engines?

We Support Our Troops!