Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Hi! I sure could use some Explorer advice

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Frehleychik75, November 8, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Frehleychik75

Frehleychik75 New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1999 Eddie Bauer Explorer
    I have a 6cyl 1999 basic Eddie Bauer.....recently I've replaced the battery, starter & fuel pump.....cranks beautifully but won't start....I've checked fuses, reset inertia switch, anti theft seems ok....fuel sensor...what am I overlooking? Crankshaft sensor? Relay?.....Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Mike65

Mike65 Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Toms River, NJ
    00 Ranger 4x4, 99 Sport
    Welcome to the forum. When you turn on the key without cranking the engine do you hear the fuel pump run for a couple seconds?. Check to see if you have fuel pressure at the Schrader valve on the fuel rail, check to make sure you have spark, Has the fuel filter been changed lately?.

• Like Like x 1
  4. fast_dave

fast_dave Active Member

City, State:
    East Bay - Nor Cal / PRK
    '98 Spt 4.0 OHV 5 spd 4x4
    @Frehleychik75

Hello & Welcome to the Forum!

Help us help you - In your Member Description (in blue background to the left of your post), please list what specific model V-6 you have:

* 4.0 OHV or 4.0 SOHC.

With that said, what stood out to @Mike65 stands out to me = when you replaced the fuel pump, did you replace the fuel filter?

If not, that's where I'd start.

$10 - $12 for the filter, $14 in ALUMINUM fuel filter tools from Harbor Freight pictured BELOW (don't buy plastic removal tools), and probably 1 hour labor for your first time at bat removing the filter. I also hope your fuel tank is 1/2 full or below or be prepared to get some gas on you ;)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. EB4X

EB4X Active Member

City, State:
    Orange county, Ca
    95 Explorer E.B. 4X4
  6. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
    For your engine to run you need a few things...

1. Fuel
    2. Spark
    3. Oxygen
    4. Valve timing

As you have a 4.0L engine in an Eddie Bauer I assume it's the SOHC V6 rather than the base 4.0L OHV engine. Is this correct?

I hope you figure out your issue is something simple but... If you have fuel, spark and oxygen getting to the engine it should run unless your timing is off. This is a real possibility with the SOHC 4.0L V6, because that engine is infamous for developing timing chain problems. The timing chain components are housed within two cassettes, which have plastic parts. What usually happens is that the plastic breaks, leading to slack in the metal timing chains, which can then lead to the engine "jumping time". If the valves are not opening/closing at the right time they can slam into the pistons and bend, even if you valves and pistons don't collide your engine may not run when your timing is off by even one tooth and probably is not worth repairing. If the passenger side cassette breaks it requires engine to be removed from the vehicle to replace it. The driver's side cassette can be replaced with the engine in the vehicle, but is still a lot of work. Full set of good quality parts and special tools can run you over $2,000. even if you do the labor. Is a 1999 4-door Explorer (with weaker V6 transmission) worth investing $2,000 into? No, not in my opinion. Re-manufactured engines are available, but they will still cost you $2,000+ plus labor.

So, figure out if the engine is getting fuel, spark and oxygen. If these 3 parts of the puzzle are present, the next thing to do is a compression test to see if you've bent valves. Typically a compression test will show that one side of the engine has no/low compression if valves are bent.

Some simple tests:
    Fuel test - Spray starting fluid directly into the throttle body for 2-3 seconds and crank the engine. If it tries to start on the starting fluid you're not getting fuel.

Spark test - Pull a convenient spark plug wire, take an old spark plug, attach it to the plug wire and using battery jumper cable ground the plug to the negative terminal of the battery. Watch the plug while the engine is cranked. You should see a very good spark. (Note: Don't try holding the spark plug by hand as 50,000+ volts will knock you on your ass).

Oxygen is kind of a given, especially if you've removed the intake tube to spray starting fluid into the throttle body.

Bent valves test - Do a compression or leak-down test on both banks..

Last edited: November 9, 2019
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. 410Fortune

410Fortune Firewood Season Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
    NORTH IDAHO, 7B
    B2 Slightly Modified
    Is the theft light blinking or does it go out when cranking?
    Nobody asked about the pats key?? its a 99 with pats

crank crank crank and no start can likely be a bad PATS key

8. Mike65

Mike65 Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Toms River, NJ
    00 Ranger 4x4, 99 Sport
    Good catch, never thought of that. :dunno:

9. donalds

donalds Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Nc
    1999 ford explorer sohc
    Hay I love my rust free 99 4 door:)

Timing chains suck tho we need old school gears

Last edited: November 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Mr Nelson

Mr Nelson New Member

City, State:
    Red Bluff, California
    1996 Explorer XLT 5.0 AWD
    I bought the same tool kit and you arent kidding about it taking awhile, they seemed to slip in easily enough but pushing in on the line and pulling out wasn't seeming to work but then finally did. PS I used the pull up harbor freight lantern to light my way on this job.

• Like Like x 1