1. Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

HID compared to Halogen Headlights

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by Querys, September 10, 2018.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Querys

Querys Active Member

City, State:
    Cologne
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2013, Explorer Limited
    Hallo,

some of you know already, I bought a Explorer Limited in Germany. Someone removed the HID Headlights.

On the weekend I replaced the Halogen Bulb with a new one and I saw, that someone modified the Bulb socket and wires inside the Headlight. Furthermore I saw some kind of control unit inside the headlight.

My thought was, that someone just replaced the wiring and bulb and now the whole light.

Is it true, that both bulbs (Xenon DS3 and Halogen HB3) fit into the socket inside the light (I do not talk about the electrical connector, this is clearly different).

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Querys

Querys Active Member

City, State:
    Cologne
    2013, Explorer Limited
    okay I just compared some Headlight Pictures on ebay and the HID Module seems to be outside the headlight.
    So I assume it is not possible to change to HID in Germany.

4. sheltonfilms

sheltonfilms Active Member

City, State:
    Hoover, AL
    2013 Limited 3.5L
    Control unit is bolted to the underside of the headlight housing but there is a big like 3" hole in the housing for wiring to pass through. you could still be seeing the control unit through this hole.

You seeing this through the headlight?

osram_xenaelectron_d3s_hid_headlight_ballasts_5_1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. Querys

Querys Active Member

City, State:
    Cologne
    2013, Explorer Limited
    nope unfortunately I do not have these control units.

I was surprised by the soldered wires in the headlight housing and some "open" wires, and the "too big bulb connector" so I tought someone might have removed only the HID out of the housing.
    But there is no big hole at the bottom of the headlight and of course no module, so it is a halogen light.