HID Install +Pics - Step by Step | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID Install +Pics - Step by Step

High beam works through factory harness

Drivers headlight was shimmed more towards center of road \
Passenger was not needed

Thanks.

How did you mount the ballasts to the the side of the headlight housing? Double sided tape? If so any recommendations on type?

I was going to mount with screws but I afraid moister will get in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those are the ones that I have. The connector for the bulb is kind of big. Makes for a tight fit from the back of the bulb to the headlight housing.

Those are the ones that I have. The connector for the bulb is kind of big. Makes for a tight fit from the back of the bulb to the headlight housing.

That's why I chose to install from the bottom and install everything while it's all apart

upon further inspection of the stock housing, it appears the stock shroud sits off the projector lip by 1/2" or so. so it would appear that the apollo2 shroud would work.

p.s. tony, what do you use to fill in any gaps that might exist between plastic parts on your retrofits? i'm assuming some kind of putty? i'm looking for something that is paintable, and obviously something that you wouldn't notice once painted.

stock:

Attachments

• 2012-ford-explorer-police-interceptor-utility-headlight-photo-363392-s-1280x782.jpg
    2012-ford-explorer-police-interceptor-utility-headlight-photo-363392-s-1280x782.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 681

That's why I chose to install from the bottom and install everything while it's all apart

Not sure I follow you mean by installing from the bottom.

I do have everything apart. What I did do was install the projector on the headlight housing first, then the bulb, and then the igniter. For the other side maybe I'll try assembling the bulb and igniter onto the projector first then installing the whole assembly onto the headlight housing.

LakersCentral - What are you using for halo's? I'm trying to add halo's and LED's but not liking how it's turning out.

BoSox13, your second method is how I install

LakersCentral, I've never filled a gap with anything, nor had a gap beyond spec

I just wanted to say thank you to tonystewart for posting instructions and a parts list on retrofitting the stock halogens to the HID. All I can say is AWESOME!!!! The light output and improved visibility is not even comparable.

before
IMG_0781.jpg

after
IMG_0814.jpg

Thank you for the kind words, I'm so lucky that I'm able to offer others the opportunity of taking the next step in "SAFELY" lighting their path, without harming opposing traffic.

I just wanted to say thank you to tonystewart for posting instructions and a parts list on retrofitting the stock halogens to the HID. All I can say is AWESOME!!!! The light output and improved visibility is not even comparable.

before
IMG_0781.jpg

after
IMG_0814.jpg

Looks great. What HID kit did you go with?

Last edited:

Looks great. What HID kit did you go with?

Hi sorry for the delay in responding. There isn't kit. Pieced the system together, everything sourced from The Retrofit Source.

Morimoto EvoX-R Projectors
D2S Osram Bulbs
Morimoto XB35 Ballasts
9006 Relay

Just ordered the 55w DDM kit for my headlights and the h11 for my fogs.
I've used DDM before and they never failed me. So I'm very eager to try these on my new Explorer!

Just ordered the 55w DDM kit for my headlights and the h11 for my fogs.
I've used DDM before and they never failed me. So I'm very eager to try these on my new Explorer!

Great! Thanks in advance for the glare you bring to the roads :mad: and thank you for using an hid bulb in a halogen projector and blinding all of us in our lowered sports cars with your hid retrofit of a fog reflector:thumbdwn:

Great! Thanks in advance for the glare you bring to the roads :mad: and thank you for using an hid bulb in a halogen projector and blinding all of us in our lowered sports cars with your hid retrofit of a fog reflector:thumbdwn:

You're very welcome :thumbsup::thumbsup: i'd much rather be able to see clearer for myself than depend on others for my safety. after all i don't plan on using high beams and fog lights at the same time like some people do.. just headlights alone should be good enough on any road. if you knew providence RI, you would know, every dam driver on this state is a liability.

" i don't plan on using high beams and fog lights at the same time like some people do.. "
If that occurs then they must have been tampered with. When high beams are used, the fogs are disabled on any vehicle I've ever had.

Peter

" i don't plan on using high beams and fog lights at the same time like some people do.. "
If that occurs then they must have been tampered with. When high beams are used, the fogs are disabled on any vehicle I've ever had.

Peter

Thanks Peter you beat me to it

Obviously he also doesn't realize I was speaking of his low beam use, and has never been blinded by an oncoming Explorers with bulbs in the wrong projectors

Thanks Peter you beat me to it

Obviously he also doesn't realize I was speaking of his low beam use, and has never been blinded by an oncoming Explorers with bulbs in the wrong projectors

i am well aware about the fog lights turning off when using high beams...
i was just pointing out that i wasn't going to modify my vehicle to do be able to use both.

but lets not get out of topic here..i am new to the explorer forum and just looking for some help in case i come across a problem installing my HID...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My wife and I normally carpool since we both work downtown, but last week we had to drive separately (one of us had to leave work early). She drove behind me in our Explorer Sport with the drop in HID kit in the Lo/Hi beam projectors. Never once when she was riding my tail, a ways behind, or going over a speedbump did I feel like I got flashed in my mirror from her headlights. The car I was driving is a sedan, and sits much lower to the ground than the Explorer. I've also passed her heading the opposite direction before, and didn't feel blinded at any point.

The drop in kits in THIS headlight don't blind anyone. Perhaps you are thinking of older style all reflector housings (which DO look terrible when having HIDs added), or people who drive with their fog lights on all the time (who have a special place in hell regardless of whether they use HIDs or halogen)?

edit because you replied as I was typing to Tony:
Jvallejo22 said:
but lets not get out of topic here..i am new to the explorer forum and just looking for some help in case i come across a problem installing my HID...
A very small number of users on this forum (and the moderator) believe you shouldn't install HIDs at all unless you buy expensive new lenses and reflectors. They're right that the full upgrade looks better than stock, including better than the Ford HIDs in the Limited, but the drop in kits are more than adequate. The kits are a fantastic value if you don't want to pay for the expensive conversion, and are willing to settle for something that looks completely stock to all outside observers, because its what the Explorer should have come with.

Back