HID Install +Pics - Step by Step | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID Install +Pics - Step by Step

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone had to replace their coolbulbs ballasts yet? I have replaced the headlight ballasts after over two years of use. The issue I was having was one or both of them would turn off and I could only remedy the problem by turning the lights off and back on once or twice to resuscitate them. Sometimes both would go out almost together. This would happen after 20 minutes of use, sometimes after a minute of use. Very inconsistent issue. Now that I have replaced the ballasts I have zero issues with the headlights.

The fog lights also act up but never as much as the headlights. Needless to say, I ordered two more ballasts for the fogs. I called Andrew after ordering this past weekend to see when I can expect them to be delivered. He stated that some Explorers are notorious in having the issue I explained, happen to them. He said a RELAY he sells will help prevent this from happening again. Anyone else try the relay from CoolBulbs only? I personally think age/heat is the reason mine have failed. The twin screw Explorers make mucho heat in the engine bay. Even the wheel well area where the fog light ballasts are located is very warm after a drive. Guess I will try the new ballasts before I get crazy with wiring in a RELAY. BTW Andrew stated that the Explorer's CPU tends to send spikes to the ballasts which in turn can make them turn off. Not sure if it is just the canadian version or not-saw a thread a while back about an issue with lights that are canadian-daytime running lights. My ride was tended for the USA.

Buzz

corpflyboy
I have not experienced what you have described.
I have used Morimoto Ballasts (Full Retrofits, not just a bulb) for years without a single failure or issue you have described.
Maybe coolbulb ballasts aren't made as well?

corpflyboy
I have not experienced what you have described.
I have used Morimoto Ballasts (Full Retrofits, not just a bulb) for years without a single failure or issue you have described.
Maybe coolbulb ballasts aren't made as well?

I think you are correct on your assumption.

Once these new ballasts go south on me it will be time for a trade in.

Buzz

ps-I work for NASCAR-not too happy about Smoke retiring next year. The good guys are leaving without replacements that the fans can grab onto.

Good luck with your repairs, I hope the ballasts solve the problem.

Auto Racing's future....., it will be fine.
The fans will always have someone to gravitate too. Mike Skinner told me "every time you get good, someone comes along better".
When David Pearson retired, I was down. Became good friends with Tim Richmond, always a party on that "big ass Chris Craft in Bahia Mar". Then he got sick, died just a few miles from my home. His mom was awesome. Alan Kulwicki , "skeeter" never had a chance to be great, same with Davey Allison. Ernie Irvan should have died at Michigan, but he lived long enough to see his house burn to the ground, sad, some amazing trophies in that home. Damn barn was nicer than most folks homes. When Ayrton Senna died in '96 I pretty much said goodbye to motorsports. Adam Petty, Kenny Irwin and then Dale Earnhardt. I spent a whole weekend with Dale at homestead. My wife asked him if he missed racing Tim Richmond, he looked right at her and said "I miss Tim". Hard to believe it was the last race, November 2000, he would finish. Tony won that day, my family was in the pits for that one. He was young and bold.
"Nascar doesn't dance with who brung-em" Buddy Baker

Good luck with your repairs, I hope the ballasts solve the problem.

Auto Racing's future....., it will be fine.
The fans will always have someone to gravitate too. Mike Skinner told me "every time you get good, someone comes along better".
When David Pearson retired, I was down. Became good friends with Tim Richmond, always a party on that "big ass Chris Craft in Bahia Mar". Then he got sick, died just a few miles from my home. His mom was awesome. Alan Kulwicki , "skeeter" never had a chance to be great, same with Davey Allison. Ernie Irvan should have died at Michigan, but he lived long enough to see his house burn to the ground, sad, some amazing trophies in that home. Damn barn was nicer than most folks homes. When Ayrton Senna died in '96 I pretty much said goodbye to motorsports. Adam Petty, Kenny Irwin and then Dale Earnhardt. I spent a whole weekend with Dale at homestead. My wife asked him if he missed racing Tim Richmond, he looked right at her and said "I miss Tim". Hard to believe it was the last race, November 2000, he would finish. Tony won that day, my family was in the pits for that one. He was young and bold.
"Nascar doesn't dance with who brung-em" Buddy Baker
Thanks!

Wow! You are old-school with the sport. Alot of history you just named and you had the opportunity to hang with that history. Very cool! I have been on-board for 12 years. I follow the sport because I work for them. We need more fans such as yourself!

Buzz

There are two photos missing from this post. If you have the photos can you edit the original post to include them or just repost them?

Your tutorial is awesome. Not sure if I'd tackle this project until spring since my garage is pretty cold right now, but your post has me highly interested.

There are two photos missing from this post. If you have the photos can you edit the original post to include them or just repost them?

Your tutorial is awesome. Not sure if I'd tackle this project until spring since my garage is pretty cold right now, but your post has me highly interested.
Which post number are you referring to?

Peter

I used the Diode Dynamics conversion kit on my Ex day before yesterday. This installation really couldn't have been easier, IMO anyway. The only thing that could be problematic for some would be cutting the hole for the grommet. The hole size is a little less than the diameter of a quarter as measured with a micrometer, Canadian metric or US standard :D. I used a paint pen to outline the quarter for a template, cut rubber out within the space and finished off the fine work with a dremel.

Replacing the bulb is no different than a regular replacement except for the grommet and extra wiring. Put the new bulb in, replace the dust boot and hook up the converter wiring to the three wires that come from the bulb. The only issue maybe in what direction you plug the large main connection. Just test the lights after the connection, if the bulb doesn't light, reverse the large connection, it'll work.

After that, you only need to deal with where you will affix the ballast and cleaning up the wiring.

Just to add, someone thought maybe the projector modules for the halogen where the same part# as the HID projector. It is exactly that and don't worry about the 'blow back' from those who believe you need to make the module change anyway when you do the conversion, you don't. Everything works as it should with either bulb installed with the exception of maybe having to make a minor height adjustment to the beam. :salute:

Just to add, someone thought maybe the projector modules for the halogen where the same part# as the HID projector. It is exactly that and don't worry about the 'blow back' from those who believe you need to make the module change anyway when you do the conversion, you don't. Everything works as it should with either bulb installed with the exception of maybe having to make a minor height adjustment to the beam.

Please explain this in detail, thank you.

I used the Diode Dynamics conversion kit on my Ex day before yesterday. This installation really couldn't have been easier, IMO anyway. The only thing that could be problematic for some would be cutting the hole for the grommet. The hole size is a little less than the diameter of a quarter as measured with a micrometer, Canadian metric or US standard :D. I used a paint pen to outline the quarter for a template, cut rubber out within the space and finished off the fine work with a dremel.

Replacing the bulb is no different than a regular replacement except for the grommet and extra wiring. Put the new bulb in, replace the dust boot and hook up the converter wiring to the three wires that come from the bulb. The only issue maybe in what direction you plug the large main connection. Just test the lights after the connection, if the bulb doesn't light, reverse the large connection, it'll work.

After that, you only need to deal with where you will affix the ballast and cleaning up the wiring.

Just to add, someone thought maybe the projector modules for the halogen where the same part# as the HID projector. It is exactly that and don't worry about the 'blow back' from those who believe you need to make the module change anyway when you do the conversion, you don't. Everything works as it should with either bulb installed with the exception of maybe having to make a minor height adjustment to the beam. :salute:
Not sure what you mean by "modules" but the projectors for the OEM halogen bulb headlamps are different than those for the OEM HID headlamps as has been proven by a member that has disassembled the headlamp. It has also been confirmed by one of the HID conversion suppliers.

Peter

Not sure what you mean by "modules" but the projectors for the OEM halogen bulb headlamps are different than those for the OEM HID headlamps as has been proven by a member that has disassembled the headlamp. It has also been confirmed by one of the HID conversion suppliers.

Peter

If that's the case, I stand corrected. The part number are the same though. If they are different, how would one order the correct ones? As it is, I've had no problem with mine thus far and I've taken my Ex out just for that purpose and have not had any kind of 'objection'.

With that, I will re- examine this thread so that I may be better informed. :salute:

If that's the case, I stand corrected. The part number are the same though. If they are different, how would one order the correct ones? As it is, I've had no problem with mine thus far and I've taken my Ex out just for that purpose and have not had any kind of 'objection'.

With that, I will re- examine this thread so that I may be better informed. :salute:
I've seen the part number issue come a few times on different items. The reason the projectors are different is because Halogen and HID bulbs produce light in different ways and their unique projectors take that into account to allow for correct focusing of the beam. You, along with the majority that just used a kit likely won't get 'flashed' but a precise focus also won't be achieved. This seems to be an ongoing argument. A proper conversion will cost more that a simple plug and play type and there is a reason for that.

http://xtremerevolution.net/are-hid-kits-legal-or-safe/

Peter

Yes, went back and read much of the 'controversial' issues on this subject. The legalities involved have me wondering why the 'kit' companies such as the one I bought mine from can sell them if they are illegal to install. I suppose it boils down to something like: It can be sold but, you can't legally install them or some such. Any way, I am quite curious to see the difference of the two housings of which has only been explained as being different. Maybe I missed that somewhere along the line. A side by side comparison with the innards exposed? A link maybe? :salute:

Well, Jeez Louise. It sometimes mystifies as to why I can get caught up in a rookie mistake but, I have, once again.

The question of the part number for the housing assembly is, somewhat, solved. There is a difference between halogen and HID part numbers as follows and as I said, somewhat:

Halogen = bb5z13008j

HID = bb5z13008u

The only question is, whether they are LH OR RH numbers or THE part number for either and order either right hand or left hand. Don't know if they are complete assemblies with all the extraneous parts or just the housings but, the bottom line is, the part numbers are different if only by a letter which says to me that the assemblies are purposed different.

I got caught up in only recognizing the '13008' part number on the Ford parts sight when I should no better.

This does not mean I'm going to run out a buy a pair of the HID housings to be 'correct'. I will continue to use the set up I have only until it becomes a problem, if ever. Time and usage will tell. :salute:

They are different, please trust me on that one, one look at this link will verify that
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/m...0b336f/e/v/evox-r_bi-xenon_projectors_4_1.jpg

The bulb is a D2S that I use in the EVO-XR, that alone identifies it as a different projector.
The factory hid bulbs are a d3s, (mercury free version of the d1s)
The halogen bulbed version uses a 9005, which is what your (!@#$%^&*) kit came with.

Diode Dynamics is very displeased with my comments on this and 30+ additional forums where I tell them their (!@#$%^&*) kits aren't correct. Their assertions (legal upgrades) are false and (equal to factory hid lighting systems) totally unproven and without a shred of evidence.

The late Chris Hitchens quote applies:
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence"

If it was the legal accurate method to project light, then why don't the OEM's factory install what "MikB" and others have installed? Attorney's and Law Suits.

I am thankful there are HID retrofitters all across North America who build amazing lighting examples for the complete Ford Lineup.
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/

Happy Holidays!!!!

I did a review of this product on Diode Dynamics which, I'm sure you will never see as this product has no negative comments and that usually means only positive ones make it to the product review. With that said, here are my marks and comments that you won't come across if you are researching on their site:

Quality: 5 stars
Price: 5 stars
value: 1, only because I couldn't put '0' (see comments)

My comments:

"While I've given some good marks for this product. I'm finding the 'fitment' is somewhat false, to say the least. It has come to my attention that in order to get true and legal use from this kit, you must first have a projector that's designed for HID's. The assumption and claim of a HID conversion from halogen is misleading in my view, along with many others. There are design differences between a halogen projector and a HID projector that warrants the attention of the unsuspecting buyer. Truth in advertising seems to be lacking a bit because it does not point out these facts and there is no information on the legality of use for this product such as '50 state legal' or whether this product is legal to install in the intended vehicle. Therefore, I may have to send these back for a refund. Too bad, the idea is good but, the promotion seems to be false in my view."

Selling a quality product is always a good thing, selling under false pretenses is quite another. If this is legal to do, it shouldn't be. :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, went back and read much of the 'controversial' issues on this subject. The legalities involved have me wondering why the 'kit' companies such as the one I bought mine from can sell them if they are illegal to install. I suppose it boils down to something like: It can be sold but, you can't legally install them or some such. Any way, I am quite curious to see the difference of the two housings of which has only been explained as being different. Maybe I missed that somewhere along the line. A side by side comparison with the innards exposed? A link maybe? :salute:
Sometimes items like this are sold with a disclaimer in fine print that says "For Off Road Use Only". Can't comment on the 'kits' as I've never seen them.

Peter

Back