HID Install +Pics - Step by Step | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID Install +Pics - Step by Step

Sometimes items like this are sold with a disclaimer in fine print that says "For Off Road Use Only". Can't comment on the 'kits' as I've never seen them.

Peter

They don't even have that claim. Here's the kit.

http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/2011-2014-ford-explorer-low-beam-hid-conversion-kit

I have 30 days to return it. I'm going to leave them in for now to see if they have any value. Then decide if they are safe or otherwise. I want to write them and ask them about the legalities. :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They don't even have that claim. Here's the kit.

http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/2011-2014-ford-explorer-low-beam-hid-conversion-kit

I have 30 days to return it. I'm going to leave them in for now to see if they have any value. Then decide if they are safe or otherwise. I want to write them and ask them about the legalities. :salute:
I'm sure that they will be a great improvement over the stock Halogens. That has never really been the issue. You will probably be fine with them.

Peter

s

If your business was selling thousands of these "kits" , would you reply?

Depends on whether your business is concerned about your customers. Looking at both sides of this, whether it is legal to install an HID kit into a Halogen projector which, apparently is not designed to do so and whether it is legal to sell said product to the public legally, I would hope the seller would have an answer to this.

I don't find any answers to this just researching the site so, writing them with this concern seems the only course for clarity. If they don't reply to this, maybe the legal issues are founded and purchasing this product is a bad idea and should be avoided. It would be at least a negative sign of their concern in my view.

Oh yeah, I also find it interesting that they don't have info on replacing the bulb for this kit should that be necessary at some point, At least, I have not found that option.

Just to update, I have written Diode Dynamics with my concern about the legal use of this product and the availability of replacement bulbs. Expect an answer in 24hrs. or so. Will post the results if and when I get it. :salute:

Last edited:

Which post number are you referring to?

Peter

The post in question was edited yesterday, presumably it was fixed. I'll probably print some hard copies as a reference, just in case. Thanks, tonystewart for the edit!

Can anyone comment on whether it's possible to upgrade in stages? Meaning install the bulbs and ballasts first, then upgrade the projector lenses at a later date? Any suggestions on which kits would make this the least pain in the butt? I'd love the brightness of HIDs in my Sport ASAP but it's my daily driver and now that it's cold outside I might not be able to be without it for multiple days for baking the headlights etc to do it the "right" way.

Thanks, tonystewart for the edit!

Can anyone comment on whether it's possible to upgrade in stages? Meaning install the bulbs and ballasts first, then upgrade the projector lenses at a later date? Any suggestions on which kits would make this the least pain in the butt? I'd love the brightness of HIDs in my Sport ASAP but it's my daily driver and now that it's cold outside I might not be able to be without it for multiple days for baking the headlights etc to do it the "right" way.

1. Your Welcome
2.No
3.If you're happy why change

How hard is it to put the relay in? My coolbulbs lights are flickering when car is on..when off it doesn't. Ill be getting it in the mail any day know..just wondering about installation

@ tonystewart and anyone else that may know -

I am looking at purchasing the EVOXR projectors and other gear but already have ballast for my 9006 HID's lamps. Not sure that there is a physical difference in the connection but before I purchase stuff, wanted to make sure I understood what's up.

9006 lamps would use an amp connector between the bulb and the ballast.
D2S bulbs use a D2S style connector typically integrated into older ballasts.
The new Morimotos are awesome, they let you choose the ends you want and accept one or the other.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/components/ballasts/morimoto-xb35-d2s-hid-xenon-ballasts.html
The ones in the build photograph's were D2S specific ballasts.
You might be able to get away with these
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/accessories/amp-d2s-ballast-adapter-90-degree.html
Or these depending upon exit wiring
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/accessories/morimoto-amp-d2s-ballast-adapters-straight.html

This is a follow up to post 305 about contacting Diode Dynamics with the questions I asked about the legality of use and replacement bulb availability for the 'kit'. Here is their answer:

"Hello,

Although most of our products you will not have issues with when using, any aftermarket lighting is considered off road use only in most cases. I would always check with your local law for specific cases, as each state and city can have different laws, but if you did have any questions, please let us know. I am also attaching a link to our replacement HID bulbs, which can be added at any time to our kit!"

http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/led-bulbs-1/hid/hid-bulbs.html

Best,

Michael N.

contact@diodedynamics.com
(314) 205-3033 x222

I think you can see that these kits are viewed as 'off road only' kits with the suggestion of consulting your state or local laws on the legal use on public roads, to paraphrase. And of course, a link to replacement bulbs for these kits.

I thank them for their answering my questions so promptly. However, I believe they should be up front with this info when looking to buy their product and in that vane, it's misleading that they didn't.

Bottom line is as usual when buying just about anything is, 'buyer beware'. :salute:

I do know that if a auto light product you buy does not have DOT approved stamped/printed on the part it is not street legal.

That said, you will find that many aftermarket parts that you can buy legally at a price less expensive than other parts is due to the cheaper cost of not having them DOT approved.

I found this out at a SEMA show about 7 years ago when the LED lights started to flood the market. I was educated by both DOT approved and NON-DOT approved manufacturers of LED headlamps/taillights. If you want DOT approved parts-you will simply pay the price!

Buzz

I do know that if a auto light product you buy does not have DOT approved stamped/printed on the part it is not street legal.

That said, you will find that many aftermarket parts that you can buy legally at a price less expensive than other parts is due to the cheaper cost of not having them DOT approved.

I found this out at a SEMA show about 7 years ago when the LED lights started to flood the market. I was educated by both DOT approved and NON-DOT approved manufacturers of LED headlamps/taillights. If you want DOT approved parts-you will simply pay the price!

Buzz

Well, a little more research and you come up with a kit that is DOT approved for 50 bucks less than what I paid for my non-DOT approved kit. This further confuses the issue as to legality or maybe not. Anyway, check out this product:

https://www.hidkitlights.com/ford/2...last-for-ford-explorer-with-halogen-2015.html

Well, a little more research and you come up with a kit that is DOT approved for 50 bucks less than what I paid for my non-DOT approved kit. This further confuses the issue as to legality or maybe not. Anyway, check out this product:

https://www.hidkitlights.com/ford/2...last-for-ford-explorer-with-halogen-2015.html

Looks like a nice kit from what I read.

I just posted on the FOG HID thread.

I am gonna stay with the coolbulbs til I trade the Stead in.

Tell me how it works out-no matter what kit you go with.

Buzz

By contrast, Diode Dynamics bulbs for this kit are not DOT approved as per this follow up I did with them:

"Hello,

Although the HID bulbs are not DOT approved, once again we have ran these in thousands of cars with no issues. That being said I would still consult with your local law to see their standpoint on these aftermarket lights, but you should not have any issues when using these!"

Best,

Michael N.

contact@diodedynamics.com
(314) 205-3033 x222
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In other words, when we buy these kits, we are legally responsible for using them on our rides should a issue happen in regards to the law. They are 'off the hook'. That's my determination anyway.

With that said, I have had no issues with on coming traffic since the install so the whole deal could be a moot point. Just adding some awareness for those considering this product for their ride.

I'm wondering how many of you would buy these if it was stated in their description, 'off road use only'? Since they don't state either 'DOT approved' or 'off road use only', it's a deliberate act of deception on their part, IMO.

I did the upgrade/ retrofit this past week. TRS was great and the parts were first rate. The build was as time consuming as everyone says...there are no shortcuts. Took me about 12-15 hours to complete the project.

Used them for the first time last evening....they work great. I agree that you need the small washers to bring the drivers side beam in more toward the center of the vehicle, especially for the high beam. Going to have to re-bake open the drivers side light, and add the washers.

I also needed to change the bulb connector, as the new style was too large, and would not allow the bulb to be changed with headlight in the vehicle. TRS made the swap, and all is good. I had to get the connector with the seperate igniter.

Joe

I did the upgrade/ retrofit this past week. TRS was great and the parts were first rate. The build was as time consuming as everyone says...there are no shortcuts. Took me about 12-15 hours to complete the project.

Used them for the first time last evening....they work great. I agree that you need the small washers to bring the drivers side beam in more toward the center of the vehicle, especially for the high beam. Going to have to re-bake open the drivers side light, and add the washers.

I also needed to change the bulb connector, as the new style was too large, and would not allow the bulb to be changed with headlight in the vehicle. TRS made the swap, and all is good. I had to get the connector with the seperate igniter.

Joe
Welcome to the Forum Joe.:wavey:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back