HID Install +Pics - Step by Step | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID Install +Pics - Step by Step

I just got my stock halogens replaced with Diode Dynamics HIDs..Brandon at 502 Performance did a SUPER job. Super neat and clean wiring job. https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=502 performance . fast well done and clean.

The light cut offs are clean bulb installed to optimize beam and keep cutoffs in line.

Plug and play !

I used DD as well, they are high quality backed by a full warranty. Well worth the money.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sgt what K did you use.. I used 6k but wish I had used 5k as it is a little blue for my old eyes.

Keep in mind that while they are a great improvement over the OEM lighting, they are not DOT approved for 'on road' use as Diode Dynamics has admitted.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...pics-step-by-step.397594/page-13#post-3488237

While DD has admitted this, I have been running them all this time since that post and I have not been stopped by the law for using them. In fact, I've had no issues at all running them. Nobody pointing fingers saying, "LOOK! He's using HID's that aren't approved by the DOT!"...GASP!! :D

My guess is nobody else using them has been stopped or been given the evil eye for using them as well. They seem to be perfectly acceptable despite their legal qualifications. But, You have to consider this when purchasing....for about .5394 seconds. :thumbsup:

The fact of the matter is that the optics of a halogen projector and HID are entirely different. But in this forum and others, nobody seems to care about that but for a small minority. But the fact of the matter is that trying to measure glare is an exercise in futility without a litany of expensive tools, human perception is about as valuable as logic in an American presidential election. :D

I'm not trying to take down the conversions, the halogens in these vehicles are terrible, and Ford should be absolutely ashamed of equipping them as such. Nevertheless, the output of the beam is still less than optimal for the driver and those coming in contact with the vehicle, although it's not nearly as bad as those who run HIDs in reflector beam vehicles.

I absolutely agree with you ' franchise713'! Compared to my wife and daugters BMW frankly for a nearly 60k they are pitiful. THus why I made the change. I surely would think from a safety perspective alone they would be forced to make a change. My headlights are truly my ONLY frustration with my truck after a year plus with my 15 sport.

While DD has admitted this, I have been running them all this time since that post and I have not been stopped by the law for using them. In fact, I've had no issues at all running them. Nobody pointing fingers saying, "LOOK! He's using HID's that aren't approved by the DOT!"...GASP!! :D

My guess is nobody else using them has been stopped or been given the evil eye for using them as well. They seem to be perfectly acceptable despite their legal qualifications. But, You have to consider this when purchasing....for about .5394 seconds. :thumbsup:

Would you be able to share a picture of your beam and cutoff with the kit? Very curious to see how the Diode Dynamics kit is fairing for anyone and everyone who is currently using it. Thanks!

Shortly after installing them, I took my Ex down to where I used to work (retired) and checked the beam out on one of the big doors they have. I was curious about this as well. I did the recommended check used to assure correct adjustment which IIRK is a distance of 25 ft. from the surface and a measurement of 8ft. in height or some such. Having owned to Mustangs with factory HID's, the pattern I got was similar. However, I don't have any pics for this.

As for the how the DD kit is fairing, it fairs just fine. No complaints from the peanut gallery and no way I'd go back to the halogens. :thumbsup:

Just to add, the high beams for the DD kit are HID as well.

Hey Kevin. Sorry for delay.. YES I will post a pic as soon as I can.

My new headlights will be ready to pop in shortly, they are shipping back soon!

OEM housings with EvoX-R projectors, matsushita ballasts, philips 85122 bulbs, and I couldn't help myself with having Bullseye add some Diode Dynamics made in USA switchback strips and halo.

15440406_640468462817726_6997161663237899878_o.jpg

Sgt what K did you use.. I used 6k but wish I had used 5k as it is a little blue for my old eyes.

Sorry for late reply never saw this, I used 4300 because I wanted to replicate the same as OEM.

I pulled the Diode Dynamics kit out of my 2014 before I sold it, still sitting in the box.

Looks very nice MISTERgadget, but I doubt they'll fit an '03 XLT.;)

Peter

Little late to the party on this, and sorry for bringing this necro topic back to life. But, can anyone who's done a proper retrofit go into a bit more detail about the washer shimming step to align the projector(s) better? How many, and what size of washer(s) does it take to align the x axis correctly? Is it just on the driver's side, or passenger side, too? I'm a big TRS fan, so will be getting the parts from them like Tony did.

My '15 XLT is my daily driver to take my boy to daycare and pick him up, etc...so I'll need to take a vacation day to do this given the time estimates, and even then I might be close on time. Can't really afford the luxury of time to drop the bumper and open the headlamp twice to get it right.

Thanks!

Little late to the party on this, and sorry for bringing this necro topic back to life. But, can anyone who's done a proper retrofit go into a bit more detail about the washer shimming step to align the projector(s) better? How many, and what size of washer(s) does it take to align the x axis correctly? Is it just on the driver's side, or passenger side, too? I'm a big TRS fan, so will be getting the parts from them like Tony did.

My '15 XLT is my daily driver to take my boy to daycare and pick him up, etc...so I'll need to take a vacation day to do this given the time estimates, and even then I might be close on time. Can't really afford the luxury of time to drop the bumper and open the headlamp twice to get it right.

Thanks!
Hi Karson. Perhaps a PM to tonystewart may be the way to go if you don't get a reply soon.

Peter

Thanks!

When I did mine, I had put masking tape on the garage door and marked the center of the stock light beam as best as possible for reference. Once I had the conversion done but the lens not baked on I put both headlight assembles (without the lens) back on the truck to see where they were pointing compared to the stock beams. Both were point out, the left headlight (driver) took more than the right. The projector are fastened to the headlight housing bucket with four screws. On the two mounting points of the projector on side that the beam was pointing I stacked up washers between the projector and the housing to get the beams to point in. It took like four washers (total of eight) for the left project and two (total of four) the right.

I wonder if anyone has done a Bi-Xenon projector upgrade, or any other projector upgrades? do they come out of the headlight assembly without baking the clear outer lens from the back of the assembly? what to look out for, etc?

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to the Forum seth.:wave:
Your post was moved to this thread found using the handy 'Search' feature (upper right). There are several more but this one has probably the best detailed instructions on a proper conversion starting on page 9.

Peter

Back