Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

HID Lights

Discussion in '2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac' started by interscope8, August 4, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. interscope8

interscope8 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Purdue University
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2001 Sport Trac 4x4
      Hey all, just decided to put this at the top of my to-do list. I almost hit a dear the other night and as it turns out my bulbs are the original ones from the factory... time for new ones anyway lol. Might as well get HID ones.

I found some black faced headlights with an HID kit and 4300 bulbs. Have black taillights on the way and need some help getting LED or similar bulbs there.

Im a novice to all this lighting and what not. Anything I need to look for when I buy this stuff?
      For example, the headlights im getting come with 4300k 9007 Bulbs. These will work with my truck right?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. BrianDye

BrianDye I'll have another...

City, State:
      Monroe, MI
      2006 XLT
      Yes, 9007 is your headlight bulb. Going the route of HID, just throwing them in a reflector housing is gonna throw off weird patterns in the road, plus alot of glare, causing every oncoming driver to think your driving with your brights on. You CAN aim them to help that, but theres still gonna be glare. You'll also loose your high beams.

Its a little more costly, but I would opt for a retrofit. (Projectors, put into the headlight housings basically) Projectors dont throw any glare, and the beam on the road is perfect. Its gonna cost a bit more, roughly 300~ for the projector and HID kit. Then youll have to buy clear or black aftermarket housings.

4. interscope8

City, State:
      Purdue University
      2001 Sport Trac 4x4
      any useful links i could use to buy these things?? :)

5. interscope8

City, State:
      Purdue University
      2001 Sport Trac 4x4
    6. BrianDye

City, State:
      Monroe, MI
      2006 XLT
      Sorry for the slow reply, im actually outside putting my new fogs & HID kit in :D

Anywho, this is the kit that most go for. From what ive read, and looked up, its the best bang for the buck, plus your getting a great HID kit. (The eBay link to those lights, that kit probably wont last, it will flicker, sometimes not turn on, etc.)

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=141

And then you'd just have to get something like:
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-0...Model:Explorer+Sport+Trac&hash=item4aad60c8f6

7. interscope8

City, State:
      Purdue University
      2001 Sport Trac 4x4
      Those lights are the same as the lights in the eBay link I posted, the ones from eBay, but just so i understand, the HID kit issues lie with the bulb, not the housing right? So that 1st link you gave me would be the actual lighting element and that housing would work without the glare

8. BrianDye

City, State:
      Monroe, MI
      2006 XLT
      the first link is the retrofit kit. It comes with the HID kit, projectors, shroud, etc.

You have to mount the projectors in a housing though, which is the 2nd link I posted. Theyre the same headlights that you linked, BUT without the el-cheapo HID kit.

HIDs WILL work in a stock housing, and be alot brighter than halogens (As long as theyre 6000k or below), BUT they will blind oncoming traffic, and have terrible patterns on the road. (It will be blotchy)

9. bdmaash

bdmaash Active Member

City, State:
      YYC
      '07, '01 sport trac
      these housing will be slightly better than stock, since the extra chrome which is not part of the reflector is blacked out. There will be glare but not as much.
      Remember to switch the wiring in the blue plug in the HID kit so it matches the 9007 bulb, they always seem to be configured for the 9004 bulb.