HID Projector Retrofit - Phase II | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID Projector Retrofit - Phase II

I think I finally have a shroud that I can use for the retrofit (for background info, see HID Projector Retrofit - Phase i).

Final product:

ShroudinHeadlightAssembly-Side.jpg

It started with this form on a vacuum table:

VacuumTableForm-Front.jpg

The odd looking assembly on the left is intended to provide clearance for the Up/Down adjustment arm, with some visual details for fun. The other odd looking piece on the bottom is intended to provide clearance for the High Beam actuation mechanism in the projector.

I used 12"x12" Black ABS Thermoform Plastic sheet ($30 for a pack of 12 at WidgetWorks). About 3 min in the oven at 325F, then onto the vacuum table:

ShroudonVaccumTable-Top.jpg

A little bit of Dremel work to get a rough idea of what the final product looks like:

Shroud-RoughTrim-Front.jpg

Shroud-RoughTrim-Top.jpg

And this is what it looks like in the headlight assembly:
Headlight-Front.jpg

Headlight-Side.jpg

Phase III starts today: building a custom set of Angel Eyes, to fill the void around the projector (looks a little naked right now, I think) and provide a little visual bling...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

!!! AMAZING !!! have you considered making and selling these on the market? how about a set for us 3rd gen owners? GOOD JOB MAN! keep it up!!

!!! AMAZING !!! have you considered making and selling these on the market? how about a set for us 3rd gen owners? GOOD JOB MAN! keep it up!!

Selling on the market, no, I really never thought about it... Thanks for the compliment, but I would not have the time, with a full time IT job and consulting on the side. I would end with quite a few irrate customers :(

As far as making them for 3rd gen, strictly for folks on this forum, well, that's a different story. The problem is that I don't have a model to work from. The 4th gen has been a royal pain to work with, with that odd shape that the little turn-signal reflector creates. I'd think a 3rd gen may be easier to deal with. If someone has a headlight assembly already open (I ruined 1 set of 4th gen already getting the darn thing opened), I'd be willing to work something out. Are you talking just the shroud or the entire retrofit? Since I don't have a machine shop, I had to have the mounting plates machine by eMachineShop, and that ran into $350 alone!

Since I can't leave well enough alone (and the 1st attempt at custom Angel Eyes was a total failure), I decided that I needed a little more details to show up on the shroud. So I left the ABS in the oven an extra minute to get it softer, and I think it turned out a lot better that the 1st attempt, with the same form.

ShroudII-Front.jpg

ShroudII-Side.jpg

ShroudII-Top.jpg

Installed:

ShroudII-Installed-Front.jpg

ShroudII-Installed-Side.jpg

Since it would appear, from 3 failures in a row, that the custom Angel Eyes idea may be more trouble than it's worth, I'm thinking of going with the Audi-style running light. What do you guys think:

Ring off:

Audi-styleRing-Off.jpg

Ring on:

Audi-styleRing2.jpg

Looks great! The FX-R projectors are a must. Looking forward to see the light output. I vote for the Audi-style running lights. There in my plans once I figure out a way I like them.

I have a 2nd Gen Explorer with custom FX-R projectors. I like your way with the ABS plastic.

Subscribing!

I admire your work man.

I like everything... but I am not too sure about the texture of the shroud?? For some reason it looks cheap.. I really dont want to offend you or anything. Like I said I admire your work but I think there should be a better surface/texture on the shrouds?

IMO, the shroud should be smooth shiny black or something? which flows with rest of the headlight better.

Not sure if you understand me but I feel that the texture of your shrouds cheapens the look of your headlights even though it is a top-notch work.

I feel bad now. lol. Again, no offense intended.

I like everything... but I am not too sure about the texture of the shroud??

No offense taken, whatsoever, I know what you mean about the texture. The sheets I use have a smooth surface on one side, and this "speckled" surface on the other. I tried to use the smooth surface on earlier attempts, but it ends ups weird looking when I apply the amount of heat I need to get it soft enough to get the details out. I think it's the nature of the ABS. I don't know that it looks "cheap", but it does detract from the rest of the assembly being smooth, as you said.

I have a few sheets of High Impact Styrene that may work out better, smooth on both sides. I think they have a lower melting temperature than the ABS. I was staying away from it, since they're white and I would have to paint them. Now I'm thinking about using them and painting gun-metal grey, so that the guts of the headlight don't look as dark as it does with the black ABS.

Looks great! The FX-R projectors are a must. Looking forward to see the light output. I vote for the Audi-style running lights. There in my plans once I figure out a way I like them.

I have a 2nd Gen Explorer with custom FX-R projectors. I like your way with the ABS plastic.

Subscribing!

Thanks. I remember going through your build-up when I started on this project, it definitely pointed me in the right direction, rather than having to mess with the original projector.

Since I don't have a machine shop, I had to have the mounting plates machine by eMachineShop, and that ran into $350 alone!

Simon from Big Blue Saw here. Have you considered having the mounting plates waterjet or laser cut? I'm not sure from the photo which piece is the mounting plate, but if either of those operations are appropriate for making the mounting plate, you should be able to save a bunch of money on having those made.

Simon from Big Blue Saw here. Have you considered having the mounting plates waterjet or laser cut? I'm not sure from the photo which piece is the mounting plate, but if either of those operations are appropriate for making the mounting plate, you should be able to save a bunch of money on having those made.

The mounting plates I was talking about are from the Phase I thread (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274302), they are the 4 plates (2 in each headlight) that the projector assembly mounts to. I'm not sure what process the machineshop used to make them...

The mounting plates I was talking about are from the Phase I thread (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274302), they are the 4 plates (2 in each headlight) that the projector assembly mounts to. I'm not sure what process the machineshop used to make them...

The projector mounting plates, being flat, could certainly be made by waterjet cutting alone relatively cheaply.

The main mounting plates would be harder to do, as they would first have to be waterjet cut, then bent on a brake, which is a somewhat tricky manual process.

With a few design changes, you might be able to avoid the bending step and save a lot of money. In this case, I would consider making separate flat brackets that mate with both the mounting plate and the black body piece.

The projector mounting plates, being flat, could certainly be made by waterjet cutting alone relatively cheaply.

The main mounting plates would be harder to do, as they would first have to be waterjet cut, then bent on a brake, which is a somewhat tricky manual process.

With a few design changes, you might be able to avoid the bending step and save a lot of money. In this case, I would consider making separate flat brackets that mate with both the mounting plate and the black body piece.

You're probably right on all counts. Unfortunately, machining is not my background, by a long shot. The problem I was trying to solve with the main plate was trying to reuse the original up/down adjuster, but without using the reflector as a mounting surface. Once you open the headlight assembly, there really isn't that many flat surfaces to work with, that would allow for something to protrude through and still be able to get a decent seal around it, for some kind of adjustement rod or screw. I've spent the better part of 6-7 months just coming with this arrangement. You should see some of the earlier designs :thumbdwn: ... If I ever have to do this again, I'll probably come up with something a lot simpler than this. Lessons learned!

One reason I used eMachineShop is that they have a proprietary CAD system, with 3D rendering. And you get a quote instantly, you can change the material or thickness, and see how those parameters affect the price. It's pretty cool. I would bet I could get it cheaper by finding a local shop...

The Audi Strips look just as good as halos! Nice Work, I like it!

If I ever have to do this again, I'll probably come up with something a lot simpler than this. Lessons learned!

That's the hazard of doing something new: you're on your own for figuring it out. On the other hand, you end up with something that nobody else has!

One reason I used eMachineShop is that they have a proprietary CAD system, with 3D rendering. And you get a quote instantly, you can change the material or thickness, and see how those parameters affect the price. It's pretty cool. I would bet I could get it cheaper by finding a local shop...

You should consider us instead. We have an online CAD tool, instant quotes, and 3D rendering on our website.

I think I'm in the home stretch. Texture is right, easily reversible for left and right shrouds, details are right, only a couple of minor adjustments to the form to help in the trimming job. And it's about time too: the wife wants her kitchen back (or more specifically her oven!).

The form:
Form-Front.jpg

On the Vacuum Table:
Shroud-OnVacuumTable-Side.jpg

After a rough trim:
Shroud-RoughTrim-Front.jpg

Those with a keen eye will have noticed 9 holes, about 1/4" each, on the bottom of the shroud. Orange LEDs :cool:
Shroud-LEDCloseUp.jpg

In position:
InHeadlight-Front.jpg

With LEDs on:
InHeadlight-LEDOn-Side.jpg

Now, as with all projects, something always goes wrong. This is no exception. I am starting to rethink the whole Audi-style LED ring, considering that one of my strips already has a block of 3 LEDs gone bad. I would hate to see that happen after adjusting, resealing and mounting the assembly:
InHeadlight-RingandLEDOn.jpg

i absolutely love it now. I dont think you should leave the led strip there.

But definitely keep the leds on bottom of shroud. Very nice work!

i absolutely love it now. I dont think you should leave the led strip there.

But definitely keep the leds on bottom of shroud. Very nice work!

Thanks. I agree, the Audi strip is a little much. I do like the effect, but I think it's a little over the top. Maybe someting a little smaller, like the bottom one? Just a 9-LED white strip at the top, opposite to orange one? Problem is that it is a flat area, and I'm not sure whether it would be visually pleasing... I guess I'll play with that and see...

Now the question is whether I connect the orange LED strip to the turn signal or the parking light. I'm leaning towards connecting it to the parking light, and disconnect the one in the current turn signal reflector. The reasoning is that the turn signal is more a safety device than the parking light (I rarely drive with just those on), and I'd like to keep the safety level where it needs to be. If I do it right, I could reconnect the OEM one without having to reopen the headlight.

What about having the led wired to the parking light at like 75% brightness, and when the turn signal is on it blinks to 100%? The turn signals will be there still, I just don't know if this is a cool effect or not worth the time. It looks amazing tho. Maybe if you made your halos that like with just a bunch of tiny leds going around?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is just me. But I love the Audi style strip, the orange LEDs, not a big fan of them being on all the time would be great to have those for front turn signals, and the Audi style strip as you're running light IMHO

Back