HID Questions fpr Ford Explorer 2011 Ltd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID Questions fpr Ford Explorer 2011 Ltd

stoev

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 explorer limited
Dear Explorer mates!

in 2 weeks i will get my new Ford Explorer 2011 ltd without HID.

I read a lot od threads here in the forum and saw difference between 9005 and 9006 Bulbs and different HID Kits?

can somebody explain me what are the difference of the 9005/9006 Bulbs?
and which one is the best HID Kit from quality and installing?

can I install every kit? or on what i must take attention?

what are important to know on the installation?
Can I do it without any modification on the car?

I Saw this Kit for the Ford Explorer 2011: http://www.hidkitsxenonlights.com/ford-explorer-xenon-kits-lights-conversions-headlights-bulbs/
Does I need a Relay? for what is it?

Thanks a lot for the help

Stoev

Just do a search for "HID" in the 2011+ Explorer forums. There are at least 3 threads that already discuss this. And from what I've read in those threads it takes very little expertise and time to install them. it's not much harder than replacing the existing bulbs.

I'm still deciding on which HID kit to buy myself. They range from $60 to several hundred. It seems like all the kits mentioned on this site get mixed reviews. I may just end up getting the $60 kit and see how they perform. if they stink I'm only out $60.

You need the 9005 bulb...9006 is too big to fit properly. Also you will need a relay. It is basically a thicker wiring harness which is needed to give ample power to the ballast when triggering the lights on. The only modification is cutting a small hole in the bulb dust cap so the wiring can come through.

Start looking in this thread for some general info:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318470&highlight=hid

Thank You Broheim

i will take a look for a 9005 HID Kits.

But do you know if I need a Bixenon Kit or only the low beam?

i think the bixenon would be great.

Greets
Stoev

There is no high/low bulbs in the explorer...just a shield that raises and lowers for high/low. So yes, you only need the low beam.

Back