• Register Today It's free!

Hids in new york?

eastplayer87

Reaction score
City, State
Brentwood, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 ford explorer xlt
Hi i was wondering if anyone can tell me which hids are legal in new york and yes i know 32 candle power maximum but for some reason all of my skulking around the internet and even asking people who sell hids do not have a clue...and does it help to have the error cancelers with a kit or no?

going to be done to a 1997 ford explorer sohc

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Technically they aren't legal, but that doesn't stop most people from using them. Seems every time I drive up there I get bombarded by people with blue headlights. So blue that I always think there is a cop behind with the lights on.

actually they are went to new york states website and it has it listed as 32 candle power....but cant tell wats equal to it cause it does not list wat its candlepower is?

they are defiently illegal in ny some county's are more strict than others i have 20k low beam and 3000k fog lights and never been pulled over. Alot of the newer hi end cars come with an option for hid package. The reason its illegal and probably always will be in new york is because normal lights shoot a beam pattern directly ahead. Hids shoot a scattered arrangement of beams in all different directions, hence lighting up more of the road. If you go to Florida you see people driving with green and red headlights and cars with full strobe under-body kits and they drive right past cops. Unfortuanley NY will proably be the last to make that stuff legal.

actually found out and yea i hear ya it depends on county but most of them are 8k as per a friend who is a cop now if i can just find a conversion kit for my hub lol

Hey man, I live in Suffolk County, and they've never bothered me once.....seriously.....as long as they're not crazy bright to the point where they're out of control you'll b good. SO many people have them I wouldn't worry about it

yea i wasnt goin 2 bright just white with a hint of blue like 6k

my explorer has 30,000k head light an 30,000k fogs deep blue never had a problem with police

Back