High Idle Surge when stopping - Fixed! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High Idle Surge when stopping - Fixed!

Dr_Z

Reaction score
City, State
Foxfield, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
The following is my experience resolving a problem I had with the idle on my Explorer. Hopefully, this might help someone with the same problem.

I was having the problem with my '02 Explorer 4.6L V8 that a number of others here had described. That is, when lifting off and applying brakes coming to a stop, the engine would surge to about 2,000 rpm and stay there for about 4-5 seconds before finally returning to the regular idle of about 750-800. This would require the brakes to be applied extra hard while the engine fought to pull the Ex faster. It was also wearing out the brakes rapidly.

I had replaced the IAC about 6 mo. ago as part of a number of things due to hitting 125k miles. The one I installed was the BWD since it was less than half the price of the Motorcraft ($60 vs. $160), and heck - it look exactly the same.

I started thinking that the symptoms seemed to point to a faulty IAC. To test the theory, I went to the junkyard and found a Motorcraft IAC from a wrecked '02 and bought it ($9). Put it in and the Explorer immediately ran perfectly - no more surge when lifting off the gas! I've been kicking myself for not doing this earlier. Evidently, there's something different internally with non-OEM parts that aren't compatible and cause this problem.

Back