High mileage 2002, what's it worth | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High mileage 2002, what's it worth

JasonF

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT 4x4 4.0
A 2002 Eddie Bauer v8 with Leather and 6 disc caught my eye at the local dealer today. It was $9999. Upon asking the salesman, it was a university fleet vehicle with 97,000 miles on it. Clearly these are almost all highway miles to add up in such a short period of time.

My question is, what do you guys think? Is this a good deal, and with that kind of mileage I could expect another 100k out of it? Or do you think it is mostly used up and I should find something newer with lower miles.

Thanks

Jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That sounds like a pretty good deal to me, if everything else looks clean and it drives ok. That's about a third of what the vehicle sold for just 3-4 years ago. I bought a 92 EB V6 w/58k in Jan. for $17k.

Good Luck.

Low ball them and see if you canbt grab it.
Sounds like a steal to me, but alot depends on how well the transmission was maintained.

100K is just getting started, but the Gen III has not been around long enough for us to know their track record, high mileage issues, etc.

I second what fortune said. Its a great price, but, try and at least get some kind of break on the price and extended warranty because its out of Fords warranty.

Also drive it alot before you buy it, If I am gonna give them $10K I want it for the weekend, if no dice then at least for a couple hours.
if there are any problems they should come up on the test drive.

Timoteo said:
That sounds like a pretty good deal to me, if everything else looks clean and it drives ok. That's about a third of what the vehicle sold for just 3-4 years ago. I bought a 92 EB V6 w/58k in Jan. for $17k.

Good Luck.

You paid $17k for a 92?????

I am guessing 02

i bought y 2002 in November with 88000 miles on it i just reached 99000
and had to replace a rear wheel bearing. or the whole hub as they do...
ove it and have had no problems at all besides that..

I paid just under $9000 for it which it was listed for $9500 but a cashiers check already made out does wonders...

around here lots of used ones with over80000 miles on them for under 10000$$$
Miles do not bother me it is all how it was taken care of...
do a car fax so you can see where it was .
I did on mine and found out it was in novia scotia and regestered by the DEA...
2002 with that many miles is not always as it seems you could consider mine a 2001.
as the oor tag shows it built like may of 2001..
kinda crazy if you ask me.. pretty soon in february of one year we will be able to buy the next years vehicle already...

Thanks for the input guys. I decided that it was too many miles for my taste. I think I will just hold onto the 96 until I have any major problems with it. Right now I am at 132,000 miles. So far the only trouble has been the normal stuff plus a wheel bearing and some ball joints, knock on wood. I keep the tranny serviced every 30k so hopefully it will hang in there!

Jason

Just bought an 02 XLT with 35K miles for $15,700 from a dealer. It was a lease return in very good condition. Lots of 02's out there with well under 50K miles coming in off leases right now. Market in Central Ohio is around $15,000 depending on condition. Saw a nice XLS with 33K miles that could have been had for under $15,000.

Sold my 97 XLT with 147K miles on it. No major problems yet. Still some life in yours.

Regards,

Dave

my 04 was $19,000

I bought my 04 in august of 04, had 11,000 miles on it. Made in January 04. I got it for $19,000. Mike Bass ford in northeast ohio has over 50 explorers.

Back