• Register Today It's free!

High mileage fluid change

BruceExploder

Reaction score
City, State
Edmond OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer
I have just finished installing a new valve body and gaskets. The fluid that came out was dark and I have no idea when last time it was serviced as this was a used vehicle. I have 225k in the odometer

Would It be smart to reuse the old fluid and only refresh a small percentage or just go ahead and add all brand new fluid?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just refill with new fluid. Don't flush all of it, just replace what drained out from removing the pan, filter and VB.

Does the fluid smell burnt? How much trash was on the magnet in the pan? I would just drain all you can out of the transmission and refill, but don't flush it. Make sure you use Mercon V only!

I didn't see any large chunks but it was pretty dark. Didn't smell burnt to me just smelled like transmission fluid.

There was alot of very fine particles on the pan. I still haven't filled it up and started it yet but I did clean the pan and magnet and what not.

Then just replace what was removed.

FYI, Add till you see fluid on the transmission dipstick, then cycle slowly through all the gears, then you will need to add more. Keep doing this until the fluid remains at the proper area on the dipstick. Reverse takes the most fluid to activate so leave it in that gear a little longer than the others.

Once you drive it around slowly, going through all the gears you may need to add still more. These transmissions can take up to 3 GALLONS of fluid.

Ok cool. Yeah I have 10 quarts sitting on myself and quite a bit did drain out. I will get more if need be.

Back