High Mileage SOHC's Explorers | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High Mileage SOHC's Explorers

2001 XLT SOHC 4x4 .parents got back in 04 with 70k looked & felt like it was a new truck wen my mom drove it home. it now has 203k today still runs good except the o/d light is blinking and the tranny seems likes its failing which means dosent have that much life left in it, some of the clear coat is starting to peel off on the driver door and the radiator started to leak not too long ago after it hit 200k a few months back

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Air Travel...

This Explorer replaced my Mustang that was bought back by Ford under lemon law. That Mustang replaced another Mustang lemon. I didn't bother trying to deal with lemon law BS with the Explorer.

My '07 G6 had interior trim panels fall off and needed electrical work the first week I had it. It just had engine work done at 10k miles. It was spewing oil out the side of the intake.

Doesn't matter what I buy. I have really bad luck with everything. My wife and I have the same cell phones. Hers works fine. Mine only holds a charge for 4 hours and doesn't ever get a full signal...this is the replacement too.

Do you ever travel by commercial air? If so could you please post your travel plans to the rest of us as a safety consideration? :D

I have 226,000 on a '96 xlt. Alternator just went out , plan to change it this weekend. Has any of these high milers that have posted had to change the fuel pump?

I have 154,x.. on mine, engine is QUIET and tranny shifts perfect! Not bad for 3000 me thinks. Only "major" issues, axle seal leaks, front pinion seal, and power steering hose leaks and a couple rattles in the console, and it needs shocks all around. I'm looking forward to having this for a long time like i had my Bronco II

124,x.. just replaced lower intake gaskets. only issue i it idles a little high(might need to change the plugs?)

214,000 978 limited

214,000 on my 98 limited 4.0 SOHC runs and drives like new!!!

just bought a black 98 with 185,000 had to put on rotors and pads but still cant get the fog lights on

98 XLT 237K Wiped out a timing cassette on new years day, Drove it 2 hours to get home. Parked it and waiting on a new sohc from a 06 stang w/ 24k miles to be delivered. I expect to be exploring again shortly. Miss my 4x4.

I have 205,000 miles on my 99 XLT SOHC 6. I am on my 3rd transmission and 2nd engine. Engine was just replaced sith one that had 48,000 miles on it. Got a 3 yr/36,000 mile warranty on the engine. First tranny failed with less than 90,000 miles, wouldn't go into Reverse. Replaced with rebuilt under warranty, then that one failed a month after the warranty ended. Third tranny is okay, but slips between 3rd and drive. No way I am going to make the mistake of flushing the tranny on this one. I will drive it til it goes and get another tranny!

Body is great, just starting to show some rust around wheelwells after driving in Wisconsin winters!

Just hit 185,000 this week on my 2000 XLT. Finally getting around to replacing the gaskets in the upper/lower manifold. Gone through two thermostats and the normal wear and tear, but other than that, she's been a workhorse!

kqJp5.jpg

'02 SOHC at 85kmiels. I'll hit 100k within a year. I have never replaced anything on the engine before.

316,ooo

It has made about 20 trips from MD to Alabama, ran like a champ until this morning, I think the starter went out. Just replaced the upper intake manifold gasket, thermostat, & air sensor. I'll figure it out......

a lot....

live in charlotte, NC basically...make a lot of trips to Charleston, SC (120mi.), Camden, SC (60mi.), Columbia, SC (75miles..GO GAMECOCKS) and to and from work (60mi.roundtrip). these miles just keep accumulating! But you wouldnt believe how great my truck runs. Regular maintenance and i baby the throttle for the most part. Just takin' it easy. I tow the seadoo boat all summer. Some mountain trips for snowboarding. Massive amounts of miles on the odometer. I love my truck!
DSCF5709.jpg

DSCF5947.jpg

misc022.jpg

keep up the high mileage....

I like this thread, it gives me hope that all may not be lost with the SOHC. My timing chain was making some racket, but i switched over to synthetic and now all is good in, or in this case, under the hood. I'm coming up on 93k miles. She is still a spring chicken compared to you guys.

I like this thread, it gives me hope that all may not be lost with the SOHC. My timing chain was making some racket, but i switched over to synthetic and now all is good in, or in this case, under the hood. I'm coming up on 93k miles. She is still a spring chicken compared to you guys.

Good lord! 93,000 miles?!?! is your X your everyday driver?! a 1997 with that few miles? Or replaced engine? Thats awesome man. I guess you dont do very long trips or anything like that. Keep truckin' spring chicken!

Good lord! 93,000 miles?!?! is your X your everyday driver?! a 1997 with that few miles? Or replaced engine? Thats awesome man. I guess you dont do very long trips or anything like that. Keep truckin' spring chicken!

Bought her in July of 2008 with 50k on it for $3500. I have put almost as many miles on in the 3 years I have owned it, than the 1st owner did in 11 years.

97 XLT 221,000
New vehicle to me

i only have 70k on my ST, but my old 95 isuzu rodeo has 220k on it and still able to take me 100 miles round trip on my work days.

117K on my 2003, I just got it 6 months ago, done Struts, Cooling System Hoses, oil/fuel/air Filters, Oil, Rear Bearings, Resurfaced rotors, and new brake pads. also replaced headlight's bulbs with Sylvania UltraStar. planning a 3k miles trip in 6 more weeks. I have a lot of faith in Her.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you think Ford would be interested?

Anybody think that Ford might be interested in having a look at my 2000 Explorer Sport that has over 360,000 miles on the original 4.0 SOHC motor and 5 speed automatic trans, neither of which has had any repairs during the life of the vehicle. No joke, the two most serious repairs I've had are an alternator and a water pump replacement. Aside from a check engine light brought on by a small vac leak, the truck show every indication of running for the foreseeable future.

Back