• Register Today It's free!

High pitched whistle

mjs

Reaction score
City, State
Prior Lake, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport
My wifes 01 Explorer Sport has developed a very high pitched whistle upon slight acceleration at higher (50mph plus) speeds. If I just accelerate slightly at these speeds I can hear it. It is a very high pitched whistle. It is driving me absolutely nuts. Anyone have any idea what it might be.

MJS
01 Sport
02 F350 SC V10
68 bronco

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it's constant it could be wind noise through the bug shield or cell phone antenna?(if equipped) My friends Bronco was whistling until he ripped off the cell phone antenna.
I have a similar situation on my '96 Sport, at exactly 2100 rpm I hear a high pitched whistled, that is the only time I hear it and it doesn't matter what speed I'm going. The only thing I can think of is that it's somewhere in the intake. If you've solved this problem by now maybe you can give me a few pointers.

i have this same sound, it happens about 3000rpm no matter what speed for me. it reminds me of a turbine engine. it comes from the right side from what seems right behind the air bag

That is about where my whistle is coming from also, I haven't tried anything to remedy this yet b/c I've only had my Explorer for about 2 months and the noise just started not to long ago.

It's probably the IAC valve. You can try to clean it, but most of the time if you want to get rid of the noise you have to replace it.

I had that exact same noise, but with a new IAC it went away.

Me Too!

I seem to be having serious whistling issues as well Here's the scenario:

Occurs only when vehicle is in motion, high-pitched air-sounding whistle
Stops when vehicle comes to a stop and starts right up again when the tires are rolling.

Now, I've had the brake pads quieted, It isn't the IAC, and it happens about 50% percent of the time. I thought it might be that TSB 1-11-4, but according to the posts on here, I shouldn't hear the whistling sound while in reverse. Unfortunately, the whistle continues even then. Any other ideas?

Back