• Register Today It's free!

High Temperature issue.

fprabel

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello everybody,

I own a 2003 Explorer Limited (V8, 4.6L, 4WD, 81K miles) and I am new to this forum. Looks like there is an amazing amount of info here but I am not sure which forum to look into, maybe someone can help?

Here's my issue: A few months ago, the guy who did the oil change noticed that the engine oil was very dark, as if there was some sludge in it. 3 weeks ago, the high temp light went on. I took my truck to the Ford dealer, they replaced a T-stat and the issue was gone. Yesterday the high temp light went on again (and not just for a temporary period). I have a feeling that replacing the T-stat did not fix the root cause. I should add that I drive normally and that the vehicule has been well maintained. What should I do?

Could the issue come from the sludge getting in the way of the normal oil flow? Is there a solution to find out what is going on? My hope is that I won't have to change the engine...

Sorry for dropping all this information on you guys, your help is welcome!

agreed, start simple. is your coolant still origional as well? 7 years is a little long. Sludge should be easily cleared out with frequent oil changes of premium oil.

Back