Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Highest end oil Filter available

Discussion in 'Member Recommended Aftermarket and OEM Parts' started by Dono, September 7, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      98 Limited AWD
      While you are waiting on the engine, can you do the remote filter system now? I debated that for my 99 SOHC truck, but I need to get it running now more than to do the remote filters.

I'm planning to place the oil filters both just in front of the body mounts, on the radiator support. You can buy the single filter adapter for a bypass filter separately, feasibly. The bypass kits run $150-$250 and up, but just the filter adapter used to be about $60, it's gone up some by now.

You can mount the two filter mounts now, and the lines needed or decided on before you get the engine back. Ideally you'd be just finishing the two lines to the block oil filter adapter once the engine goes back in. Note the small block threaded adapter is metric on 302 Explorers, and has to be swapped for the old kind if you change the adapter which bolts onto it.

Here's where I have one normal FL1A filter on the right side of my 99, on the radiator support. I think that there is plenty of room there on each side for the larger bypass filter. I'm going to use a four port version on the left side, and a two side port version on the right side. That provides running the two filters naturally in parallel, which is required with a bypass filter.

Projectthread110.JPG

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Dono

Dono 347 V8 Limited turbo Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      I don't understand. I just stated that my real purpose of this filter was the ease of taking it apart to look for debris, bearing material, etc.

No, I am not interested in a bypass style system at this time.

4. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      You mentioned interest in the bypass system prior, and the remote filter idea as I quoted you.

You can mount the two filters separately, the nice one you have and can open each time, plus a bypass filter. You could do them separately too if you plan the remote adapter type(outlet number and direction). I'm just suggesting things you could do now as you wait for the engine.

I'm planning six remote filters for my 99 truck, but I just don't have time now. I've bought the bypass filter adapter and the bypass filter, plus three of the other normal filter mounts. I'll have to wait until I get my 99 running right again, and the busy season ends after Christmas.

5. Dono

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      I don't want to add any risk of external lines rupturing at this time. Last summer I had already sprung a leak in my oil line going back to my turbo. I was lucky it only a pin hole, but the message to me was clear. There comes a point where I just have to look at risk management.
      If I can get to the point that I actually have a reliable, working vehicle I will re-visit my decision. If I do get to that point, I will be picking your brain on part numbers, etc.

Don, I know you are just trying to help. Please don't take this the wrong way. I just need to have a motor that doesn't eat its self before I move forward with any thing else. This has been years of throwing $1000.00 bills at my truck. I refuse to actually add up the costs.

6. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I understand. Long term reliability is big for me too, I plan for that whenever I can. I'm waiting to get nice engines done before using the best oil and a bypass filter if I can find space. My work truck SOHC I already knew it did not leak or eat oil. So the filter is planned for it now when I can get to it. I've only got one vehicle for work, and one spare to drive. We need spares to be able to work on serious projects.

I look forward to you getting that engine and the truck right, and driving it any time you want to, reliably.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Dono

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      Here's what the oil filter looks like after a break in dyno run on a new motor.

I'm really pleased with this filter.

Inside of filter housing
      Oil Filter 2  inside housing.jpg

The magnet doing its job. That glob is the magnet catching break in stuff from the rings and cylinders
      Oil Filter 2 magnet .jpg

This is the filter its self. It just needs a spray with brake clean before re-assembling.
      Oil Filter1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    8. 4pointslow

4pointslow Explorer Torture Tester Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Gloucester City, NJ
      98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
      That filter is a cool set up. being able to easily check what kind of stuff is in there will come in handy.