• Register Today It's free!

Highway Fuel Economy

RLWSNOOK

Reaction score
City, State
OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
Just drove my brand new explorer for about 120 miles mostly highway (some 70 mph some 65 and some 55 mph with a few small farm towns sprinkled in there) and I averaged 25.2 MPG. (I have a FWD XLT with the 18" rims).

Can't wait to see what the explorer gets for MPG when the engine breaks in!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice! What RPMs were you averaging? Did you have an ethanol in your fuel? Driving habits? I'd like to get the MPGs you're getting!

Nice! What RPMs were you averaging? Did you have an ethanol in your fuel? Driving habits? I'd like to get the MPGs you're getting!

I rarely went above 3,000 RPM's and often times was under 2,500.

I did have ethanol in my fuel.

My driving habits were to just take it easy... This car is a cruiser, it's not meant to drive fast (even though it can be driven very fast), and it has enough power that you don't need to push it to go fast. You barely have to push down on the pedal to make it accelerate. Use the whole on ramp to get to speed no point in rushing things.

Once you are up to speed find the point try to play with how light you can have your foot on the pedal while keeping your speed constant.

Also cruise control really doesn't get the best fuel economy. use the hills to your advantage. If going up a small hill slows you down a bit don't worry about it, and gain some speed going down hills.. this will help.

The car is sooo smooth enjoy how smooth it is!!

I have a limited and 4 wheel drive, my mpg is 20.2 mostly hwy. miles. 50/50 blend with ethenol.

Sorry, the gas I put in was the 10% ethanol about a 1/2 tank, Then I filled the rest up with 92 octane good gas as it is known around here.

Just drove my brand new explorer for about 120 miles mostly highway (some 70 mph some 65 and some 55 mph with a few small farm towns sprinkled in there) and I averaged 25.2 MPG. (I have a FWD XLT with the 18" rims).

Can't wait to see what the explorer gets for MPG when the engine breaks in!!

Sweet! We special ordered a FWD because we wanted the better mileage, and its basically going to be a grocery and kid hauler. Itll pull our Polaris RZR-S to and from our farm in NYS, but even there off road means gravel driveway. LOL

Keep us updated on your mileage.

Back