RickyG

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Limited
Callsign
I
I've had my Limited for 6 months now finally got a chance to get on the highway for the first time and see what type of mileage it gets.

Drove to the airport in Austin which is about 70 miles from my house averaged between 68 and 70 miles per hour most of the trip on interstate pulled into the underground parking at the airport and noticed 37.5 miles per gallon in normal drive mode. I did not buy the Explorer for gas mileage I bought it for the looks of the vehicle.
20200129_140745.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, that's impressive!

I havent seen thst dash view before...what drive mode where you in?

I've had my Limited for 6 months now finally got a chance to get on the highway for the first time and see what type of mileage it gets.

Drove to the airport in Austin which is about 70 miles from my house averaged between 68 and 70 miles per hour most of the trip on interstate pulled into the underground parking at the airport and noticed 37.5 miles per gallon in normal drive mode. I did not buy the Explorer for gas mileage I bought it for the looks of the vehicle.View attachment 178353

Did you have a tail wind?

There is no way you were getting 37mpg unless you were on the back of a tow truck idling... just saying.

Like I posted above this was the first time I've had it out on the interstate you can believe what you want I have no reason to lie just thought I would share my first encounter of highway mileage. I posted the picture because I knew somebody would respond with a ridiculous answer for proof of MPG and that somebody is you. Sounds like you're blwnsmoke Just saying.

I never said you were lying or knocking you personally. All I am saying is there is no way any of these Explorers are getting high 30s for mpg. Only way to get true mpg is to burn a tank and hand calculate the mileage driven vs the gallons put in (pending you started with a fill tank) not look at the computer. Plus you only had 1 hour on that recording which isnt a true representation of your overall mpg. Just stating facts.

I can get my 8300lb f350 to show 24mpg on my display for a 45 min ride but I still net 17-18mpg through a whole tank.

The dash display is usually not accurate but not off that much to make a really big difference in what you are seeing. On mine it is generous by about 1 litre per 100 km. In other words when the dash shows my fuel consumption to be 12L/100km it is actually 13L/100km. I track all my fill-ups on www.fuelly.com and it automatically gives you the correct mpg based on the figures you input. The records for my previous 3 vehicles are still there as well.

Peter

Dang!. My '04 Eddie Bauer 4L V6 with about 130K miles gets a whopping 13.5 MPG. I'd be happy with 1/2 of what your readout is.

Drove to the airport in Austin which is about 70 miles from my house averaged between 68 and 70 miles per hour most of the trip on interstate pulled into the underground parking at the airport and noticed 37.5 miles per gallon in normal drive mode. I did not buy the Explorer for gas mileage I bought it for the looks of the vehicle.View attachment 178353

One thing I do know is if it took me an hr 15 to go 70 miles on the highway I would not be happy.

My MPGs suffer because a 70mph limit means I set the cruise between 75-78.

Back