1. Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Highway shudder

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by madconcept, March 18, 2017.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. pingbling23

pingbling23 Active Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2012 Explorer Limited 4x4
    Maybe change out the spark plugs.

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. ospreyguy

ospreyguy New Member

City, State:
    Littleton, CO
    2013 Explorer XLT 4WD
    Curious to see if there has been any resolution on this one since last year...

4. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

5. Tsuga

Tsuga Member

2013, Explorer, Sport
    My 13 Explorer Sport threw a P2098 code and doing the the same shuddering at the same speed range as the OP's. Had an O2 sensor replaced by the dealer as I have an ESP. Drove it for a few 2 days and noticed the the shuddering again and the same code popped up. Took it to the dealer and another O2 sensor replaced, took it for a drive and the same thing still happening. I am not sure if the P2098 code and the shuddering are related. Has anyone resolved their issue? Thanks

6. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    From what I've read on the error code it would seem that there likely is no issue with the sensor. The sensor is just indicating that there is a problem with the fuel mixture (trim level). May be too lean?

Peter

7. Tsuga

Tsuga Member

2013, Explorer, Sport
    It could be a number of things such as vacuum leak, catalytic converter,O2 sensors, bad mass airflow sensor, bad MAP sensor, fuel delivery system issues. It all depends on many other readings that follow the code.

8. maetesmann

maetesmann New Member

City, State:
    Duesseldorf /Germany
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport
    Had similar issue on my 2013 Sport ...
    I'm sure it is a dtrivetrain issue .. not an engine problem ...
    Check the right front axle, on mine the intermediate joint was worn out ... I replaced the complete axle shaft and now the car drives absolutely smooth ... even up to it's top speed at 200kmh (125mph (yes .. WE have the Autobahn !! ;))

If ordering an axle on rockauto be aware ! ... the aftermarket one(s) doesn't fit !!
    The linkage to the two bolts on the tranny housing doesn't match at all and the intermediate bearing is mounted in the wrong way, should be vice versa ..but even then the axle can't be mounted b/c bearing's diameter is to big
    Buy the OEM Motorcraft axle, it's also availible on rockauto.com.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Tsuga

Tsuga Member

2013, Explorer, Sport
    I hope this will solve my shuddering or shaking issue at that particular speed. Took it in for an oil change and asked the tech to look at the CV joint, because of this your post. There is a leak right out of the transmission and the shaft. It is going in on Monday to have a shaft replacement.

Last edited: December 2, 2018
  10. VCFP153

VCFP153 Active Member

City, State:
    Ormond Beach FL
    2017 PIU
    I'm genuinely curious what is it about the word "because" that makes it so hard to spell out. I've seen people write 1500+ word mini-articles, but still use "b/c". What is up with that?

11. Tsuga

Tsuga Member

2013, Explorer, Sport
    Well, had the axle replaced and no luck. Still shuddering at 1500 rpm and 90km/h, slightly accelerating.

12. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Have you eliminated the tires as a possible cause?

Peter

13. Tsuga

Tsuga Member

2013, Explorer, Sport
    Yes, I just had brand new Michelin Defenders put on it 3-4 weeks ago.
    I had the mechanic at work riding with me today and he said that it shifted too quickly into 6th gear and it feels like it was underpowered, similar to you forgetting to down shift when slowing down in a standard vehicle. Maybe the transmission needs to be reprogrammed?
    I also read that it could be a low grade misfire that has not crossed the threshold to throw a code. Doing a Mode $06 scan might find it.

Last edited: December 5, 2018
  14. SHUMAX

SHUMAX Active Member

City, State:
    Ohio
    2019 Explorer Sport
    After 113,000 miles on my 2014 Sport, I've learned it's plugs, clean air filter/throttle body and use of top tier fuel. I am on my 4th set of plugs - yes, 4th. Every time they change them, that condition goes away 95%. I.E., 6th gear, from 45mph on up with slight tip in of the throttle - not enough to get it to downshift, though. It will buck just a bit. When the plugs are changed, and PROPERLY gapped; along with a clean air filter/throttle body, mine is about 95% gone. Really, if I don't focus on it, I don't even notice it once these things are completed. Make certain they are gapping the plugs correctly. If they pull them out of the box and stick them in, there is a very good chance the gap isn't quite right. I've had several mechanics tell me this.

Shumax

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tsuga

Tsuga Member

2013, Explorer, Sport
    So, on the advice of the tech at my regular Ford dealer (he thinks it's the transmission), I took the Explorer to another Ford dealer that has a transmission tech. Took it out for a drive with the shop foreman at the second dealer. He drove the Explorer and acknowledged the shudder/shake from 90 to 100 km/h, in the sixth gear while cruising at 1500 rpm. He was so sure that it the ignition system failing and not the transmission when the vehicle is underload. The next day the took it out for a drive with whiled hooked up to a computer. He did an IDS and Mode 06 diagnostic and found there is no misfire and everything is good according to the computer. Also, there was no transmission codes popping up either.
    He took a 2018 Sport out for a test drive and sure enough, it showed similar symptoms. His conclusion is that this is a normal characteristic drive of this vehicle.
    I know there are a few people on here and on F150 forum having the same issue with their Explorers and nothing was resolved. If this is the case, either the design of this vehicle is flawed or another unknown issue propping up as this generation of vehicle is aging.
    At the end of the day, I paid 145 dollars to have a tech telling me there is nothing wrong with my vehicle. To me the way that this vehicle drive right now, it is not right.

16. Odrapnew

Odrapnew Active Member

City, State:
    MN
    2014 Explorer Sport
    I hate that response from dealers. That's like saying if every car of a certain model had the wheel fall off while on the freeway, it's a characteristic of the vehicle(over exaggeration, but you get the point).

That's the response I got when I brought my old Mazda in for a steering clunk. They checked another that had it and said it's just the way it is when I know it was a loose connection in the collapsible steering shaft.

Just because there are no transmission faults showing up doesn't mean there isn't an issue. They just "can't" diagnose it without a computer telling them there's something wrong.

17. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    If it was a "normal characteristic" of the vehicle then I would guess that every owner should have this "shudder". Perhaps I should take mine into the dealer and complain that I don't have it.:(

Peter

18. Tsuga

Tsuga Member

2013, Explorer, Sport
    I have done a few things that were suggest by members. I changed the plugs with new plugs and gapped them according to the manual, changed the leaking cv joint, and road force balanced the tires.
    I am also smelling propane in the cabin when the temperature is colder, not sure if these two issues are related.

19. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    A propane smell could be caused by a problem with PTU. In the PTU thread, the two are often related. The PTU could be your problem.

Peter