Hiper bulbs... just got 'em!!! They're awsesome!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hiper bulbs... just got 'em!!! They're awsesome!!

Okay guys, I know there's been a lot of questions about the Hiper brand bulbs (HID, the one's with Japanese lettering on the box) and I just got mine the other day, and today was the day I put them in.

Taking out the stock bulbs is easy and hard. The easy one being the passenger side one, if you take out the air box, you can get right to it. The driver's side is a different story, and I had to be VERY careful not to touch the bulb. The total install time was about 15 mins (10 on one bulb, 5 on another) and they look awesome!! The headlights have this nice blue tint to them, and they didn't burn out or anything when I turned them on. So as long as you don't touch the bulb, I think these are great!!!

Just wanted to share the happiness with everyone.... pics to come soon!!

:chug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

they arent true hids are they? 15 min install means u just got the HID imitation light bulbs. they tend to just look whiter, but dont really shine any more of the road to the driver.

Correct, they are just the immitation hid bulbs. However they do shine a bit brighter. CONGRATS ON THE SUCCESSFUL INSTALL :D

S*** no they aren't true HID. I could never afford that! But they are the imitation ones, that you see on eBay all the time. They add a NICE blue tint to your headlights, and today as I was leaving Wal-Mart, I turned on the lights so I could see the reflection in the window, and they look so damn sweet!!!! I'm so happy I bought them.....

:D :D :D

Don't celebrate yet, lets see how long they last. I've heard that they have a very short life span.

Do these lights have a higher wattage then stock? If so I'd keep my eye on the wiring harness...

i've had mine in since October 2000, no blow outs yet.

Originally posted by mattadams
Do these lights have a higher wattage then stock? If so I'd keep my eye on the wiring harness...
No they don't have a higher wattage, they use the stock wattage....

I also just ordered the number 893 Fog lights from the same brand, cause now the fogs are so yellow compared to the headlights!!!!

whats the wattage on em?

I ran APCs bulbs.... the 80/100w ones with the bigger wiring harness they sell... they look cool, but didn't last fer $hit.. which is why right now, it's in the back of my garage... 7 bucks at autozone for a standard light does me just fine
Pete

It uses the stock 85/80 and the bulbs themselves shine at 130/100 with no extra current draw, so the wiring harness should be fine....

Stock wattage is 65/55 watts, if I remember correctly.

Originally posted by mattadams

I second that!!! I bought some "HID" "Xenon 5000k" bulbs from eBay about six months ago and put them on. They looked great and were very bright compared to the stock 9007's that came with my truck. Last week, I thought one of the lights went out because it was dim on one side. I went and purchased some Sylvannia Silver Stars that everyone was raving about. I was about to put on the new bulbs when I discovered that the socket that plugs into the bulbs was severly deformed. Brought it up to my nose to smell it and it was burnt. Checked the other side, same thing. I tried getting replacements from the dealer and they told me I had to buy a whole new wire harness for $300.00. They do not sell those sockets separately. The parts counter guy told me to go look at the junkyard. So buyer beware!!! Some of the light bulbs you see on eBay are not DOT approved. I found out after I received my bulbs that they were not DOT approved. Some of them are just higher wattage bulbs that will burn out your wire harness just like it did mine. I've even read some of the feedbacks from buyers that the "HID" "Xenon" bulbs are dimmer than the originals.

Originally posted by wmak8

I second that!!! I bought some "HID" "Xenon 5000k" bulbs from eBay about six months ago and put them on. They looked great and were very bright compared to the stock 9007's that came with my truck. Last week, I thought one of the lights went out because it was dim on one side. I went and purchased some Sylvannia Silver Stars that everyone was raving about. I was about to put on the new bulbs when I discovered that the socket that plugs into the bulbs was severly deformed. Brought it up to my nose to smell it and it was burnt. Checked the other side, same thing. I tried getting replacements from the dealer and they told me I had to buy a whole new wire harness for $300.00. They do not sell those sockets separately. The parts counter guy told me to go look at the junkyard. So buyer beware!!! Some of the light bulbs you see on eBay are not DOT approved. I found out after I received my bulbs that they were not DOT approved. Some of them are just higher wattage bulbs that will burn out your wire harness just like it did mine. I've even read some of the feedbacks from buyers that the "HID" "Xenon" bulbs are dimmer than the originals.

9004/9007 sockets are about $4 each at Discount Auto Parts. The two bulbs take the same socket, but the wiring is different.

Thanks edlmann, I got some from a local wrecker. Got them for about $4.00 apiece. Kragen Auto Parts would have been the next place I would have checked. I guess your deal is better. New ones for $4.00. Thanks for the info. I'll know where to look next time.

hey mike do you have the part number for the headlights and fog lights? im gonna go to my local ricer shop and get a set just for ***** and giggles.

The headlight uses 9007 bulbs. The fogs are 893 or 899.

Back