1. Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Hissing sound after engine is shut off

Discussion in 'Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers' started by Harley McIntyre, July 5, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Harley McIntyre

Harley McIntyre Member

City, State:
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2006 Explorer EB 4.6l
    2006 eb v8 ex. Usually after a good drive when I shut my engine off it makes a hissing sound almost like something depressurizing, I listened to it with the hood popped and it sounds like it's coming from the ac area on the passenger side, I've noticed that there will be random leaks, there's sometimes one under the engine, sometimes it's under the transmission, and sometimes it's right under the resonator. I have checked the coolant multiple times and the oil neither of them drop at all. The fluid that comes out seemes to be water, no smell, color, or lubrication properties. I'm worried I have a leak somewhere but I don't know what is leaking and why it keeps changing the places it leaks. The only thing I could think of would be my ac system. Does anyone know what this may be? It only seems to leak when the engine is running.. any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. 974X4BLACKSPORT

974X4BLACKSPORT Active Member

City, State:
    hudson
    BLACK 1997 SPORT 4 BY 4
    The a/c system will continue to "evaporate" until the pressure in the system equalizes once the system (car) is shut off, this could be the sound your hear. Pure water from the evaporator drain is normal and necessary, make sure the drain tube is clear of debris and unobstructed.

4. Floridaexplorer43

Floridaexplorer43 Active Member

City, State:
    Tallahassee, FL
    2003 4wd 4 0
    Google engine hissing after turning off, could be overheating.

5. MNgopher

MNgopher Active Member

City, State:
    Lakeville, MN
    '07 XLT V8
    The hissing sound is likely from your A/C system and is generally normal. The puddles are likely condensation from the A/C, and the locations you are identifying near the engine and transmission sound normal as well. No idea on the resonator other than if when starting cold, you may have condensation draining out of the exhaust.

The puddles are normal when it has been humid. If its anything like its been here for the last week, you leave puddles of condensation everywhere...

6. Harley McIntyre

Harley McIntyre Member

City, State:
    Lake Geneva, WI
    2006 Explorer EB 4.6l
    Yeah I'm in Wisconsin so it's been around 100% humidity for a few weeks. Still pretty humid today. Thanks though. I guess I am a little paranoid. I know these suvs with the v8s are reliable but I'm a broke teenager so I am always worried about something going wrong haha

7. donalds

donalds Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Nc
    1999 ford explorer sohc
    Why not run it with the a.c. off then shut it down and see if it hissing

Just shut the a.c. off a mile before you get home