• Register Today It's free!

Hitch Lights Connector Issue

mrplayer67

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
I got an adapter to connect the 4 pin connector on my 03' Explorer to the 7 prong round adapter on our 97' Viking trailer.

When put together I still have no power to the lights on the trailer. The 4 pin connector on the Explorer has some green in it (oxidation?). Might that be the issue? Not all the holes have it, yet I got zero activity on the trailer lights.

Any advice on possibly cleaning the holes on the 4 pin flat adapter, or what else might be the problem?

I really wanted to hitch up for the first time and get some parking lot practice this weekend, but as of this moment those plans are canceled [:(!]

HELP!

mrplayer67

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try to clean out the connector first. If that doesn't work, use a test meter and check for power on the four pin plug. If you don't get power there, then check out your fuses.

Vic

Whenever my trailer lights don't work its because of the oxidation on the connector pins..

Also, the 7 pin plug on the trailer is there for a reason....Does the trailer have a battery inside that needs charging? Or electric brakes? If it does, you will need the proper 7 pin connector on Your Explorer.

The first thing I did when I got my Explorer was cut the flat connector off and replace it with a round one that fits my boat trailer. My boat trailer had a flat one on it when I got it and the first thing I did was cut it off and put a round one on it. I like round connectors.

Back