Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

hmm what kind of car i do want?

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by BoatsRcool, October 5, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. BoatsRcool

BoatsRcool Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Greenville SC (Home) Clemson SC (School)
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      GMC Yukon 4x4
      Ok here is the deal.. Im selling my explorer. I want something manual, it needs to get at least 20mpg on the hwy. I will probably end up having about $10k to spend, depending on how much money I can make soon. So far I have seen a lot of explorer sports I liked.. but I think if I get manual i want a car. The whole civic eclipse all that is a big no. I have seen some volvo 850 turbos online I like, but it is really hard to find them 5 speed.. and I havent seen any around here at all. I LOVE audi a4's. Its sorta hard to get one for about 10k but I have seen plenty with around 100k on them. I don't know much about saabs... but a lot of them are 5speed.. anyways help!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Alec

Alec Elite Moderator Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Houston, Texas
      2008 JK
      I've found Edmunds.com is good for quickly narrowing down choices. Go there, then go to used and start to narrow down in different sections.

Ultimately though, I think the best thing you can do is just look around at your local dealers. From my friend's experiences, buying used from a dealer is usually best, and you can still find great deals. And as unbelievable as this sounds, it usually takes less time to research in person at the dealers than on the internet :) I suggest you go to 4 or 5 dealers in your area and take a look-sy

4. ChuckyD

ChuckyD Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Oceanside, NY
      03 4Runner SR5
      95-96 maxima 5 spd
      190 HP

Stang GT 94 -95 240?
      Camaro

I would go for a Maxima.. quick, good on gas, plenty of aftermarket parts, and good on insurence. not to mention .. extremely reliable

dont like saabs
      volvo's are going to be expensive to fix

Last edited: October 10, 2002
    5. 02XSport

02XSport Active Member

City, State:
      GA
      '05 Toyota 4Runner SE V8
      I agree with Chucky on the Maxima. My friend has a 98 5-speed and it is a very nice car. He has added 17" wheels, lowered it, and done some minor engine mods, and it looks very nice and clean, not riced out. He hasn't had any problems with it either, seems to be somewhat reliable.

6. Stephen

Stephen Moderator In Memoriam Elite In Memoriam

City, State:
      Annapolis, MD
      '97 Limited
      100k on the Audi, you don't wanna go there. The problem with buying used, high mileage japanese and german luxury cars is when they break you still have to spend top dollar to replace them. Japanese is a little easier because basically anyone can service them, like American cars, but German cars like the Audi (Volkswagen) are really hard because the diagnostic equipment is super expensive, so only the dealers can afford it. None of the independant shops around here, be they import repair facilities or not will touch an Audi or a Volkswagen, you're pretty much stuck with the dealer. One guy I know well that services my Lexus for me from time to time tells me the parts for a Volkswagen or Audi (basically the same) are more expensive then those found on a BMW or Mercedes. My wife has a New Beetle, it has 25K on it, been nothing but problems and we're getting ready to trade it. No one but the dealer will service it, and the dealer is horrible.

My advice? Maxima is great. They even have a 97MY supercharged version with a 5 speed if you can find one.

7. Robb

Robb Explorer Addict

How bout a 91 BMW 325I Convertible? $7K

HEHE...........I just felt like soliciting cause I got one for sale.

Robb

8. Goober

Goober Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Lexington, SC
      '91XLT4x4
      Don't know if you like Pontiacs or not, but I have a 96 Grand Prix (not SC) with 110,000 on it and have only had to change oil, alt and battery. Great on gas at ~26-27. Plenty of room and of pep. The only thing I hate is its turning radius.

...and no, I'm not selling mine :D

9. BoatsRcool

City, State:
      GMC Yukon 4x4
      well this puts me in a situation haha... I don't realy like the look of maximas.. well the ones past like 99' but the ones before that. A friend of mine has one anyway. I think I will end up getting a SUV then. I really do like the audis and volvos though! dang. I think I will end up getting a explorer sport... if I do find one in manual.. is it for sure that it will be low notch? .. no power windows.. stuff like that? because I want it to be as loaded as possible.

there is a shop right around the corner from me, across from the big ford dealership that specializes in repair on volvos.. and saabs and stuff like that.

10. BoatsRcool

City, State:
      GMC Yukon 4x4
      i was out looking around today, and I found a really sweet car. It is a 96' Explorer sport 4x4, black. It has 90k miles on it, it looks like it is in really good condition, and the interior looked good too. It was $5,900. It was at a used car dealership, right near my house... they are a decent place, so Im taking my dad to see it later, and then we will probably talk to them on monday... anyways what all should I ask, and what has been bad that year and stuff? thanks.

11. Robb

Robb Explorer Addict

96.........check the AC!
      The infamous blend door problem

Robb

12. Jason_25

Jason_25 Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member

City, State:
      New Bern, NC
      '95 Explorer "Expedition"
      Ok skip the engine alltogether, just make sure it starts easily and doesn't make excessive noise at startup. Check THE TRANNY FLUID. It needs to be nice and red and not smell burnt. Make sure the tranny shifts smoothly through all the gears. Be sure to engage the 4x4 too, and the low range. Watch for blinking lights on the dash- that is bad.

Can't think of anything else right now. Good luck.

Last edited: October 6, 2002
    13. Raceit

Raceit Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Overland Park, KS
      '91 Explorer 2DR 4WD XL
      I'm pretty biased towards Porsche 944's. You could easily find a 944 Turbo for under 10K that's in excallent shape.

They're fast, handle like their on rails, and get good gas mileage too.

14. espnfreak

espnfreak Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Elgin, IL
      '99 Maxima SE-L *5spd
      any nissan would be great

15. tbomb

tbomb Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Levittown, NY (Long Island)
      98 Sport 4.0 SOHC 4x4
      i didnt read everyone else's posts, but i thought id just post this. ever since i was 16, ive never driven anything but SUV's (actually, theyve all been explorers.) even when it comes to friends cars, the only cars ive ever driven were my dads old 96 corvette, and one of my friends POS 85 olds cutlass (i dont like to drive other peoples vehicles), and i just picked up my rental car on friday while my X is in the shop. ill tell ya one thing that ive learned in the last 2 days of driving a car: i HATE driving cars. i miss my truck for so many reasons, but #1 is that its a truck.

so, its just something to think about; i dont know how many cars youve driven, so, its up to you. one last thing ill say is that ive always dreamt of having a mustang cobra or something along those lines as a "toy", but now, i dont know if thats actually gonna happen, since i cant stand driving anything but a truck, heh.

16. BoatsRcool

City, State:
      GMC Yukon 4x4
      ok well i looked at it again... im not sure its a 96 now.. but its deffiently a 95-97. it was at the beach before it came here for sure.. they doesnt look like there is much rust at all, but the frame is really dirty... im gonna ask them to pressure waash it tomorrow. The front bumper has a small dent on the left side, which I dont mind, and then the left fender has a dent that could be banged out.. its really small.. and it has a big scratch on that same fender... i can touch it up. with all of that, I think i could get the price down some. I need to get a better look at the frame, but it really looks like there is no rust, it is just really dirty.. anyways my dad didn't liek that it came from the beach, but my mom and me are gonna go up there tomorrow and test drive it. it doesnt have a roof rack... i know thats a small concern.. but how hard is it to install rails? i want a THULE rack on it for ski season this year... anyways, im gonna go check it out tomorrow... I will check for flashing lights in the dash, and i cant see the engine yet, but I will tomorrow, and I will check the fluid colors and all. the tires look almost brand new... the seats have a few stains, but i will check that out too.. thanks for the help so far.
      ps. what did you mean by check out the a/c if it was 96' what was wrong with the a/c that year? thanks.

17. Robb

Robb Explorer Addict

The 96-98s are notorious for the AC blend doors going bad. It is something you want to look at before purchasing. Just make sure the AC works on all positions, not just MAX. It is expensive to fix if you have it done, and very time consuming if you do it yourself. If you search for "blend door", you will find a bunch of info on it.

Robb

18. Stephen

City, State:
      Annapolis, MD
      '97 Limited
      Well Stains can be unstained, and light damage like dings and scratches can be fixed easily enough. Check out www.dentwizard.com . Definately take it to a mechanic that you trust before you sign anything.

19. BoatsRcool

City, State:
      GMC Yukon 4x4
      ok thanks guys.... after I drive it im going to get the VIN so I can get a carfax report done on it. it is at a dealer, so I know where the people are if it messes up, but I will get it checked out by a mechanic too. thanks.

20. Alec

Alec Elite Moderator Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Houston, Texas
      2008 JK
      I agree with the other guys: AC, tranny, and 4x system are the major problem areas. But of course get everything else checked out, too ;)

21. BoatsRcool

City, State:
      GMC Yukon 4x4
      ok heres the deal.. it is a 1997 sport I figured out. i drove it. now im not a wonderful 5 speed driver I have only done it a few times. i will start with the a/c. it works awesome on max, but blows hot on normal a/c.. he said something about a sensor or something that is easy that he will replace and it will fix it. they bottom was dirty really dirty, but hes getting it cleaned and taken to his mechanic tomorrow, because he just got the car friday afternoon, and he hasnt done anything to it yet. it seemed to be off alignment a little, but it just felt sorta rought when i drove it, not as soft as my 92... he said he will rotate the tires and that should help. the guy that owns the place i dont think is bad, he lives in the neighborhood next to me, and he runs this place with his wife... its pretty small.. id say about 10 cars up there usually. He says he sells a lot of his stuff to wholesale places or whatever. anyways, after he fixes some of this, im gonna drive it again. also, small things were broken... just like the emergency brake release button (it still works just broken) and just other small plastic things missing. the interior was also pretty dirty, just sorta mud stained, i think hes getting that cleaned. my other concern is the last person that had it was DEFFIENTLY a smoker.. i am not, how can I get the smell out? thanks.

22. Robb

Robb Explorer Addict

Don't buy it til that is fixed! He does not know what he is talking about. The is definately a bad blend door. WIthout it having ATC, there would be no sensors in the AC system that would produce systoms even remotely close to that.

Good Luck!

Robb

23. '96explorereddiebauer

'96explorereddiebauer Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Clemmons, NC
      '06 Honda Accord EX-L
      I'm on the same boat. I'm thinking of getting a '98 or '99 Infiniti I30. I'm not very happy about the way my truck drinks gas and the price of gas is soaring up to $1.41 a gallon. I don't want to see my parents to pay two, three hundred dollars on gas a month. It's like this...the ratio of guzzling gas/engine power doesn't add up at all. A lot of members on this site who has a V8 gets about the same gas mileage as mine but having almost twice the power. It just doesn't add up!

24. Stephen

City, State:
      Annapolis, MD
      '97 Limited
      WARNING WARNING

DO NOT trust this guy AT ALL.

His mechanic IS NOT good enough, you have to pick a mechanic and take the car there YOURSELF. If he doesnt let you do this then pass the car and any more on his lot over. It has to be an independent mechanic with no gain or loss of his own, he'll give you the real truth.

DO NOT sign ANYTHING he says you need to so he can "release the truck to you" for the mechanic to look at it. Inform him he can come along if he wants to.

As for the A/C, let him "fix" it before you take it to your mechanic, then ask him what he thinks about the A/C. Its definately the blend door because, as was previously said, the manual A/C system has no such sensor.

My opinion is, pass this truck over you can do better. You'll most likely never be able to totally remove the smoke odor, it sounds like its had a rough life, and the guy personally to me sounds like a flim flam man, or just ignorant both of which are bad.

Keep looking.

25. BoatsRcool

City, State:
      GMC Yukon 4x4
      well thanks stephen... Im not going to give up all hope yet, but we will see. We did not make any indication that I thought I would buy it at all, he just said that he hasnt had time to get anything done on it yet, so he is going to do that. He said that before he buys his cars he gets them checked out and it was fine. I wouldn't buy it until I have had it checked out by a mechanic that doesn't know this guy anyway. we will see, we will... can someone please explain to me the blend door thing? I dont get it. and, why it works so well on MAX but not normal.... its weird. does it stay like that or eventually mess all up...

26. BoatsRcool

City, State:
      GMC Yukon 4x4
      i didnt hear from the guy today, he should call me when he gets it cleaned up, but i have decided that no matter what I deffiently want a manual transmission.. unless I score some incredible deal somewhere... incase this falls, what else would you suggest with a manual tranny... all cars are open for discussion... anything under $7500