home-made splashguard mod | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

home-made splashguard mod

Are the bolts attached to the plastic trim piece at the top?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Hartman
Are the bolts attached to the plastic trim piece at the top?
yes. i believe they are carraige bolts. in other words, they have a round flat "dome" head. you could pick some up at any hardware store. did you soak 'em in WD-40? what about wire brushing them, then hitting them with the '40?

I sprayed them with liquid wrench. Is there a way to get the plasic trim piece off so that the rounded bolt head is exposed?

I don't understand how you put new bolts in if the bolts are attached to the plastic piece...

they kind of "clip" into it. there is no way (that i know of) to remove the trim while the bolt is still in the truck. once you have them off, if ever, you will see what i mean.:)

Looks good James!!!

So, if I cut the bolts off, you're SURE I'll be able to reattach them?

Yes Hartman. If you are good at making things, which I assume you are since you do most of the work to your truck yourself, you will be able to figure out what bolts are needed to put it back on. You aren't one of the people that has no clue.

If you get the bolts loose, you can kinda slide the plastic piece off. Or maybe you need to get one totally out and the other one will slide off... I dont remember. The heads of the bolts clip into a plastic bracket sorta thing that is part of the backside of the trip piece. They just pop in. I think they have a square head, but it is very thin and when you turn the nut, the head of the bolt acts like a razor and just cuts a groove into the plastic for it to spin. Get a dremmel and cut off the nut. Do a little and stop, then do some more. Give it a chance to cool off so you dont melt the plastic part that the bolt snaps into. That happened to one of mine and I had to get creative when putting it back on.

figured i would bump this up... got the back bumper painted. now on to the front.

Attachments

• bumper.jpg
    bumper.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 419

Just thought I'd let you know I got a pair of these from EE up for sale in the Sale'Trade ect. forum.

got any pics of 'em? i havent even seen them on anything other than the EE site...

james it looks sweet but whats up with the trailer ball?!? ;)

it gets used. :D actually, i have plans on a roll pan and hidden reciever hitch with flip down license plate (one of these days).

i have plans on a roll pan and hidden reciever hitch with flip down license plate (one of these days).

Yea, Yea, Yea....... What-ever......:chug:

Oh someone said something about a rollpan.

7134gpic3.jpg

:D

LOL. I like that shot the best, Hartman. It shows off the depth of the wheels nice. Oh, the rollpan too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back